Valve troubles

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
THUNDERLORD
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:59 pm

DinerKid wrote:and suddenly i am back to the drawing board.
Add flow restriction(slightly opened ballvalve or cheap flow regulator, smaller tubing/pipe) and do it the way I mentioned earlier.

You stated that it worked when you did what jrrdw mentioned...same theory.

What c11man mentioned is worth experimentation..I've lost interest in sprinkler valves myself, (but I might as well get the most from the one's I still have).

Like I said before, about a week ago I used propane (Nothing more than pressure source), with tons of flow restriction, on a 1.5" chamber gun (srry, can't get exact volume now), and it BaWHUMPED fast enough for semi-auto. :) 8)
-----SPEED,STRENGTH, AND ACCURACY.-----
"Procrastination" is five syllables for "Sloth".
Theopia 8)
Born To Be Alive!
DinerKid
Private 4
Private 4

Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:02 am

i know that would work it just defeats the purpose of the cannon. i want to be loading through the ball valve breech while it fills and once it is filled shoot it. if i had to turn off the air it would interupt the rhythm.

flow restrictions are alright i guess. i was really hoping for a quick gun but this seems like the best be at the moment.

i also ripped apart an old valve and pulled out the little equalizer tab leaving just a roughly 1/8 inch hole in the diaphragm compared to the microscopic one before. i will try this out and see it is no big deal if it is bad cause it is an old valve that i am done with. sadly i cant test it till i'm back from Hawaii in two weeks.
THUNDERLORD
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:41 am

The fairly large chamber 1.5" I mentioned filled in a moment with propane, but that's the only time I used constant flow on a sprinkler valve myself.

The necessary chamber volume for PB's is much smaller so it should fill much faster, once you get it working the way you want (which I am sure is possible).

I just skimmed through 8 pages in the "How-To" section and sadly could not find a post there where a guy made a new diaphram for a S.V. using neoprene and a coin or washer. :( Maybe someone can link it(???)

The How-to's are looking a little crappy IMO, (out of place posts, nooby questions in "How-To's" etc.) Kind of sad even compared to about a year ago. Good to read through all in all though.
...no big deal if it is bad cause it is an old valve that i am done with. sadly i cant test it till i'm back from Hawaii in two weeks.
Maybe that's the problem (old valve?). The one I keep mentioning was new, freshly modded using a short lamp pipe and JB weld, very short pilot hose, and a blow nozzle.
Cool you're in Hawaii, I went there once, it was like a cartoon fantasy world!!! I suggest you try jumping off one of those huge lava diving rocks into the ocean and swim back.
Hope you update this when you get back in two weeks. 8)
I Gotta get back to my job hunt now.
-----SPEED,STRENGTH, AND ACCURACY.-----
"Procrastination" is five syllables for "Sloth".
Theopia 8)
Born To Be Alive!
DinerKid
Private 4
Private 4

Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:18 pm

the valve is in fine condition fresh off of a cannon i used for about a week. my chamber volume is 57 cubic inches. i think i may try the restrictions if the larger equalization hole doesn't work. perhaps i will try both the larger hole and the restrictions to use as little restrictions as possible.

thanks for your help.

alright so i just found a few minutes to try out the valve with the larger equalization hole it works great fills just fine and fires awesome. i am not finished with the new barrel but i tried it with an old single shot barrel and it is doing great. thanks everybody.