14mm Automatic Air Rifle

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:50 pm

Infact, now I see the work that's gone into this I want one. Rather than using a solenoid valve I'd use a mechanical spool valve or sleeve valve. I'd also so it in around .38 caliber.

I just need a good way to get projectiles. I could turn down a 10mm rod and use that or make a split mold and cast.

Would you mind if I used some of the ideas from this in my gun? I just need the ammo really..
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
al-xg
Corporal 2
Corporal 2
Great Britain

Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:44 am

A mechanical 3/2 valve or even a (less efficient) regular blowgun with restrited fill rate works fine.

Although well made bullets will perfom better, you could also use spherical projectiles.
The few shots I did that reached out to 200m were with lead round balls (14mm round fishing wheights pressed shut).
As seen here:
Last edited by al-xg on Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moonbogg
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3
United States of America

Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:51 am

Any chance of a video of it shooting?
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:55 am

I see the work that's gone into this I want one
uhmmm right now I am building something similar... hmm it would be cool to have a couple of different designs being developed at the same time...

sort of like... unofficial community project

The spring pushing the ferrous solenoid core against the seat will only hold it to about 400psi
same here :? but most leaks on mine are caused by a small ring that is tilted by the mechanical override lever when you use it... somehow fast flow of air dislocates it from, time to time
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
al-xg
Corporal 2
Corporal 2
Great Britain

Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:55 am

Sadly, probably not until some time in december.

I ended up blocking off the manual overide when casting the epoxy, but it can still be uncovered if needed.

How bout using a microswitch on the air ram instead of a timer to get full auto on your design ?
Last edited by al-xg on Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:59 am

What was your C:B ratio (on firing). I'm not sure if the full length of that pipe is used each shot.
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
al-xg
Corporal 2
Corporal 2
Great Britain

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:16 am

The chamber volume is 160cc (including fittings and inside the QEV).

The whole barrel is 110cm long by 14mm ID, so 169cc.
The gas piston has a 20mm ID and the stroke must be about 5.5cm, so about 17cc
The QEV dead volume is probably around 14cc.
And the 3/4" T about 21cc.

So the C:B is approx 7:10
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:57 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Let's see 'em then.
You'll see them when I'm about ready to use them.

Given I've designed them with the purpose of setting a few records, it would be a bit silly giving away the specifics until after I'm done - so I'd like to keep the details to myself until things are near completion.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
pipeboyswe
Private 3
Private 3

Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:12 am

Wow really awesome gun 8) cool with blowback :D
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:22 am

I've been thinking about this rifle for the past couple of days..

The boltpiston could be made coax, so it is a lot cleaner.The rod could be replaced by a moving barrel sleeve.
The boltlock could be reworked so it works with only one rod by placing the lock on the bolt itself...

This system has so much potential!
Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:23 am

I've decided I'm building this..

Problem being, I don't have blocks of aluminum to machine each part from. Though I do have nylon in appropriate sizes which is easy to work and cheap. I'm hoping I can make each part as I want it from nylon then use something like the lost wax replacement casting method with aluminum. Would this work?

Nylon melts at 190-350 celsius and I'm casting the aluminum at 700 celsius plus.
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:51 am

The Nylon won;t pour out cleanly.It will most likely burn and gum up the mold.

Why would you choose not to use wax?

Did you read the coax comment? it would clean things up a lot.
Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
al-xg
Corporal 2
Corporal 2
Great Britain

Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:36 am

I did consider using just one rod, and have the bolt guide on the other side behind the bolt lock. Actually I didn't have time to make a new bolt and am still using the first one I made. The cut in the side for the bolt lock to latch on to is just visible on some of the pics.

I did also like the idea of a coaxial piston and sleeve, like on the FX monsoon. But seeing the way the quality of my build turned out, I think I would have had too many losses through friction ;)

Why don't you just cast the aluminium blocks and then machine them ? :)
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:37 am

The idea with nylon is that I could essentially put the gun together, make sure everything works then make replicas of each part. I'd rather not make it co-ax, I believe if done cleanly the side by side blowback would look good.

I'll just prototype each part in nylon then order some aluminum stock I suppose.
Pookydarts
Private 4
Private 4
Australia

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:12 pm

al-xg wrote: Although well made bullets will perfom better, you could also use spherical projectiles.
The few shots I did that reached out to 200m were with lead round balls (14mm round fishing wheights pressed shut).
As seen here:
Those projectiles look great! :P
Next time you get your hands on your gun try sending some up the barrel backwards!
:)
edit: ...So much for showing off my computer skills... :( try this:http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/SubsonicBullet.html