Semi Automatic Golf Ball Cannon

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
CannonCreations
Private 3
Private 3

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:09 pm

It is a little more complicated than 1 moving part. And yes I did use PVC fittings, but that isn't the point, the point is, it is semi automatic, and it is one of the most reliable designs that exists for shooting golf balls in semi auto. It is also the only one out there that can be put on any gun with a valve, and still work. I would also rather be safe than sorry. I have seen pneumatic guns, and designs sell online for hundreds of dollars, and I would prefer tgat other people dont make money off of my ideas
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:17 pm

It can't possibly be something we haven't seen before.

Just saying, do you see any of us putting a patent on a piston valve? No, we share it with the forum so others can replicate or improve on it. Same goes for many spudding innovations.
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:27 pm

CannonCreations wrote:It is also the only one out there that can be put on any gun with a valve, and still work. I would also rather be safe than sorry. I have seen pneumatic guns, and designs sell online for hundreds of dollars, and I would prefer tgat other people dont make money off of my ideas
Have a look at clide'sfantastic effort. - it's clearly a powerful and reliable golf ball semi automatic, and the mechanism is explained in detail. If someone has become a millionaire off his back, I'm not aware of it.

Also, where are the designs that sell online for hundreds of dollars, and are they actually being sold?

You can getthese for just 15 dollars, and I strongly doubt it's any better than clide's design.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
CannonCreations
Private 3
Private 3

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:29 pm

that is why I am here, I am looking for a way to increase my ROF by making a more efficient, faster closing valve. And my loading mechanism is similar to the one in the GM semi, but mine allows more air to go behind the ball. and keeps balls from flying out of the hopper, and wil always load a ball, and never jam. OheIf you go to the video at the top, and go to 3:10 you can see the entire gun, and watch it shootnce I get a little help with my valve, i will post my design. also is there anyway I can post a video just to the forum? I have a video that shows my design, but i only want to share it with people on the forum
CannonCreations
Private 3
Private 3

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:37 pm

I have seen clides design, and love it, and I guess I never thought about if they were selling or not. But if you notice his gun wasn't completely reliable, It would shoot a few, then not shoot, and throw others out of the hopper.http://www.spudtech.com/detail.asp?id=56 and this is what i was talking about when it comes to selling guns. I apologize if I sound rude, not sharing my design, but I know too many people who have had ideas stolen and sold, and I am just trying to be careful.
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:41 pm

You can upload it to youtube and set it as unlisted so we can only see it.

Seriously, your design cannot be that complicated... what is it? An interruptor? Blow forward bolt? Detent?
OG Anti-Hybrid
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
CannonCreations
Private 3
Private 3

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:46 pm

it isn't complicated, that is why is so good. It is simple, reliable and powerful :D

And like I said, once I come up with a better valve (help is desired here) i will post some vids of the loading mechanism for everyone to see. Once i have a better valve, this gun should be similar in ROF to clides, except mine has more power behind it. I chronographed it at 280-320fps with a golf ball at 60psi
Last edited by CannonCreations on Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:47 pm

CannonCreations wrote:that is why I am here, I am looking for a way to increase my ROF by making a more efficient, faster closing valve.
Expecting to glean ideas from others without wanting to share yours will inevitably come across as rude.

Seriously, I'm sure your design isn't something which will not be found here in some shape or form:

http://www.zdspb.com/tech/misc/animations.html
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:47 pm

Then it should be easy to tell us how it works :wink:
OG Anti-Hybrid
Holy Shat!
CannonCreations
Private 3
Private 3

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:02 pm

Fine, I am sure you have seen Clides design. mine uses a piston as well. the piston pushes forward, keeping the next ball from fallineg in too early, but the air goes strait through my piston, intead of through the holes in the sides like clides. this al thlows more of the force to be put behind the ball. in clides design, there is more resistance, causing less force. another thing i found which I hope you guys will like, which is a completely new idea, is, instead of using a detente to hold the ball in place, I use the bristles of a hair brush. just enough pressure to hold the ball, but weak enough to not affect the speed of the ball

But seriously if i could get some help with a valve, this thing has a potential to be a beast, it just has a slow ROF
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:07 pm

CannonCreations wrote:Fine, I am sure you have seen Clides design. mine uses a piston as well. the piston pushes forward, keeping the next ball from fallineg in too early, but the air goes strait through my piston, intead of through the holes in the sides like clides. this al thlows more of the force to be put behind the ball.
Something likethis?

another thing i found which I hope you guys will like, which is a completely new idea, is, instead of using a detente to hold the ball in place, I use the bristles of a hair brush. just enough pressure to hold the ball, but weak enough to not affect the speed of the ball
A properly made detent will increase power, not decrease it. By keeping the projectile in place, it allows air pressure to build up behind it. When the projectie it eventually released, it will have more force behind it and come out faster.
CannonCreations wrote:But seriously if i could get some help with a valve, this thing has a potential to be a beast, it just has a slow ROF
Have you considered using a slide valve as a pilot, and feeding air through the pilot area of the sprinkler valve?

It will waste much less air and the valve will close much quicker.
CannonCreations
Private 3
Private 3

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Yeah that is similar, only mine is more compact, and less complicated, and no wasted space. I dont have a bolt behind the piston, i found it doesn't need it, but u have given me something to think about

could you explain to me what a slide valve is?

the diagram u posted, th way it is set up, if u pull the trigger, the response wouldn't be instant. the piston would have to wait to go all the way forward before it would shoot. This would probably be a good full auto design though. I just dont see it being a good semi auto gun
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:26 pm

CannonCreations wrote:could you explain to me what a slide valve is?
From another post:

Basically something like this:

When the valve is in the forward position, it allows air to flow from the main supply to the QEV and fill the pilot and firing chamber.

When the valve is in the rear position, two things happen:

- main supply is cut off

- QEV pilot chamber is open to the atmosphere, emptying it and firing the launcher

The valve goes back to the forward position (you need to add a spring or do it manually) and the cycle can be repeated.

Here's a nice 3/4" slide valve: http://cgi.ebay.com/Deltrol-SL35-3-4-Sl ... 2eb4b3739c

You could also get a cheaper 1/8" one and use an adapter: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Paintball-Gun-S ... 2c5cefe367

This is the concept:

The slide valve is basically a three way valve.

A three way valve has three ports, which we will call A, B and C

There are two possible paths, AB (with C blocked off) and AC (with B blocked off)

A is connected to the pilot area of the piston

B is connected to your 100 litre tank

C is simply left open to the atmosphere.

At rest, the three way is in position AB. This means your reservoir is filling the launcher chamber.

When the trigger is pulled, the valve switches to position AC. This means the reservoir is blocked off, and is no longer filling the pilot and chamber, while the pilot is exhausted to the atmosphere, which fires the launcher.

Once the trigger is released, the valve goes back to AB, refilles the pilot and chamber and the cycle can be repeated.
the diagram u posted, th way it is set up, if u pull the trigger, the response wouldn't be instant. the piston would have to wait to go all the way forward before it would shoot. This would probably be a good full auto design though. I just dont see it being a good semi auto gun
Worked well enough ;)

[youtube][/youtube]

Ironically, it was intended to be full auto but the design is flawed for that purpose.
CannonCreations
Private 3
Private 3

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:37 pm

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. And I really apologize if i came across as rude earlier, I just really didn't want to be robbed of my ideas. I have been in the past and dont want a repeat of that.

and I really like the slide valve idea, but i think i am going to try and shorted my air tank, and try and get the sprinkler valve to close faster
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:36 pm

CannonCreations wrote:Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. And I really apologize if i came across as rude earlier, I just really didn't want to be robbed of my ideas. I have been in the past and dont want a repeat of that.
We might have appeared rude not respecting your desire to keep your ideas confidential, but the reality is that ultimately what you've made is a slight variation of well known designs, so it's difficult to comprehend the need for secrecy unless you've come up with something extraordinarily revolutionary which you intend to patent and turn into a commercial venture.
and I really like the slide valve idea, but i think i am going to try and shorted my air tank, and try and get the sprinkler valve to close faster
A smaller tank will help, as well as maximising the flow from your compressor - making sure there are no restrictions that are limiting airflow.

You might want to consider a buffer tank between the air tank and compressor.