Pvc Primer cleaner

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
The_Kangsta
Private 4
Private 4

Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:34 pm

Im building a pneumatic that will be pressurized up to 150 psi. The hardware stores in my area don't sell primer, but only primer cleaner. If I use just primer cleaner, will the gun still work safely?
Live now, die later
mopherman
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:47 pm

Pvc cleaner is basically just watered down primer i thinks. just use at least two layers, like five minutes apart.
searching for a modern day savior from another place,inclined toward charity,everyone's begging for an answer,without regard to validity,the searching never ends,it goes on and on for eternity
-Bad religion
MrCrowley

Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:20 pm

I'm sure cleaner is not the same as primer.

Just get primer, it's not too hard to find.
hi
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:45 pm

i agree, dont take the cheap way out. do it right, primer is cheap and can be found just about anywhere.
"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
TurboSuper
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:28 pm

I don't understand how any hardware store could sell PVC cement, but not the primer.

My best advice: Look at the can. It usually tells you exactly what it's designed to be used for.
"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards
jimmy101
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:52 pm

I suspect that the can says "cleaner / primer" or "primer cleaner" on it and is indeed purple primer.

Oatey sells both "primer cleaner" and "primer". Both are purple and both meet building codes in the US for pressurized water systems.

Purple Primer Cleaner:
http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/Pro ... aner+.html
Purple Primer:
http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/Pro ... Listed.htm

The images on the pages above both say "purple primer". The line art linked from the first page says "Purple Primer Cleaner".

The Oatey site says the "primer cleaner" is a little less agressive then the "primer". Two coats of "primer cleaner" on both parts is probably a good idea. Since both products meet code specs for PWS systems I believe they can be used interchangably.

When in doubt, just look the product up on the makers web site.
The_Kangsta
Private 4
Private 4

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:51 pm

so even if primer cleaner is less aggressive than regular primer, I can still use it for a pneumatic?
Live now, die later
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:02 pm

I would find regular primer, not cleaner. I believe the cleaner is typically used BEFORE the actual primer... however it's fairly uncommon to use by spudders or plumbers since it's often not required.
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
maxfreke88
Private 2
Private 2

Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:21 pm

on my "cleaner" it says to go directly from cleaner to cement!
thats what ive been doing, it works just fine and looks great NO PURPLE! :D
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:29 pm

BCARMS for your primer needs!
jimmy101
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:23 pm

PCGUY wrote:I would find regular primer, not cleaner. I believe the cleaner is typically used BEFORE the actual primer... however it's fairly uncommon to use by spudders or plumbers since it's often not required.
According to Oatey "Primer Cleaner" is (1) primer, (2) purple, (3) meets code for PWS (pressurized) systems.

Bottom line, you can use either "Primer Cleaner" or "Primer".

"Cleaner" + PVC glue would not be a good idea if you are going to be pressurizing the assembly to >50 PSIG.
The_Kangsta
Private 4
Private 4

Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:19 am

Yes but this is PRIMER /Cleaner. Also, all the stores in my neighborhood did not sell regular primer. And they said that Primer/Cleaner was good for using on pressurized PVC.
Live now, die later