Accident with Blowgun on Sprinkler Valve

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:47 am

Huh, this has turned into an accident story thread already. I think the only gun-related injuries I've had were the constant cuts on my hands and arms from sharp-edged hose clamps prevalent in my designs. And probably some propane burns.

I learned to always wear safety glasses shortly after making my first bbmg, though.

Not really sure how I manage to avoid getting hurt, since I'm normally rather apathetic to dangerous practices that are not likely to result in death/blindness.

One of my favorite things that scares the hell out of people is cutting a 20-pound propane tank in half without purging it first :D
jsefcik
Sergeant 2
Sergeant 2

Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:44 pm

Fnord wrote:Huh, this has turned into an accident story thread already. I think the only gun-related injuries I've had were the constant cuts on my hands and arms from sharp-edged hose clamps prevalent in my designs. And probably some propane burns.

I learned to always wear safety glasses shortly after making my first bbmg, though.

Not really sure how I manage to avoid getting hurt, since I'm normally rather apathetic to dangerous practices that are not likely to result in death/blindness.

One of my favorite things that scares the hell out of people is cutting a 20-pound propane tank in half without purging it first :D

i wouldnt cut a tank that has pressure behind it
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:08 pm

Neither would I.
'Not purged' meant that the tank still has gas in it, not that the gas is above atmospheric pressure.

Cutting through a pressurized tank would most likely just cause it to vent violently rather than explode. Sparks from a small angle grinder aren't usually intense enough to ignite propane, but I wouldn't put money on it in this case.
jsefcik
Sergeant 2
Sergeant 2

Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:45 pm

Fnord wrote:Neither would I.
'Not purged' meant that the tank still has gas in it, not that the gas is above atmospheric pressure.

Cutting through a pressurized tank would most likely just cause it to vent violently rather than explode. Sparks from a small angle grinder aren't usually intense enough to ignite propane, but I wouldn't put money on it in this case.

i wouldnt cut it, with any spark involved, even if the spark might not be strong enough to ignite the gas, i wouldnt wanna test it to find out!!!