Wire drive Storm Cannon

Boom! The classic potato gun harnesses the combustion of flammable vapor. Show us your combustion spud gun and discuss fuels, ratios, safety, ignition systems, tools, and more.
Billy Bob
Private 4
Private 4

Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:22 am

Hi,

i want to show you my cannon from 2008. The cannon is a simple Co2 Fe´s . The stand works with two 12 V car window cleaner motors. The filling isnt automati but the spark loading and fire ist.

I build it from bycicle parts and other garbage. The stand isnt alive i wracked it up last year. I want to build better one with automatic loading machanism. I will start perhaps next year. :)

I controled the gun directly next to the gun with a little 3m wire control or in my room 70 meters away with another control. The camera is a very fine working black white chip camera.

here is a short video
[youtube][/youtube]

sorry for my bad English. :wink:

Edited by jrrdw.
Attachments
bzdo0.jpg
sturm2lu3.jpg
My gun
My gun
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:00 am

Nicely done :) you should mount some sort of sight in front of the camera to help with aiming though.

I'm trying to make something similar but on a smaller scale and functioning autonomously, have a look at this thread.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:12 am

lol that's so cool...

what is that thing that you used to build as the turret frame ? I know I've seen it somewhere but I am having hard time remembering what it is

all I can say is that this gun really makes all those autonomous turrets look so lame

@JSR
you see jack they don't have to outsource their projects to Scandinavian countries :shock:
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:47 am

POLAND_SPUD wrote:you see jack they don't have to outsource their projects to Scandinavian countries :shock:
He's German, it's what they do :P :D

Looks like the sort of project you were after, but for reasons explained elsewhere I'm sticking to a smaller autonomous unit. Ordered the software and controller today, awaiting confirmation that it is compatible with the ready made pan-tilt systems dewey-1 found so I can start collecting all the other bits.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:35 am

I am not trying to convince you jack to build a larger one... at least not now :D

just be sure to keep us updated and film it with your slowmo cam

but I think this one is so freaking cool...

what do you think would be the easiest/cheapest way to build a remotely controlled turret?

what would I need if I wanted to use my PC or laptop and control the turret via the mouse ?

are there any large pan/tilt camera systems that could be used with larger launchers ?
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
Demon
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:03 pm

Yay! Battlefield 2142 music!

Now make a angle calculator to make an artillery cannon !
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:38 pm

POLAND_SPUD wrote:are there any large pan/tilt camera systems that could be used with larger launchers ?
I asked the paintball sentry guy about this unit, the response wasn't very encouraging...
Yea, it would work with that but that’s very tiny and weak. The only thing you could mount on there of any use would probably be a laser pointer. All of the larger, more useful, pan tilt kits cost ridiculous amounts of money.
starman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Donating Members

Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:46 pm

Beautiful idea and very well done! A hybridized one of these would be really cool.... :wink:

Awesome!
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:18 pm

@jsr
have you tried firing your HP bbmg while not holding it? you know just to see how much recoil there will be when it's not held in your hand ?

I presume I would need something pretty sturdy if I wanted to mount my semiauto MKIII... considering its only 8.731mm it kicks pretty hard

well generally speaking I guess that there are 2 (well maybe 3 possibilities):

-build yourself a powerful and sturdy turret with step motors or real servos
-buy cheap ready made pan tilt kits designed for lightweight cameras
-buy expensive ready made pan tilt kits designed for serious applications

the first option could give the best results but it requires you to know a thing or two about electronics

I've found a couple of pan tilt turrets for use with camcorders.. this one seems to be the cheapest:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... _Head.html

but you couldn't use them as they are not based on RC servos

naahhh wait a second wouldn't it be possible to control (and power) a small step motor directly via the serial port or parrallel port ?
Last edited by POLAND_SPUD on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:27 pm

The small pan tilt units I've found mostly look like this:

Basically a two servos mounted on eachother, with the servo driving the bracket directly.

The paintball senty turret on the other hand has the servos geared down 2:1 to drive the brackets.

What I have in mind is going to be much lighter than a paintball marker, so maybe I could scale up the commercial pan/tilt unit by simply using larger servos.

I don't want to hijack the thread so maybe we should continue this on the sentry one ;)
Billy Bob
Private 4
Private 4

Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:22 am

Thanky to all for your comments.
Nicely done you should mount some sort of sight in front of the camera to help with aiming though.
Yeah that is what i do next time.
Your projekt is very cool i like it. I have never heard and seen such a interesting software. Damn My know become obsolete :D

The turret frame is a selfmade turred. I weld it from old shelf parts.
The ball bearing are from bycicles.

Your pan tilt units with camera are a very good thing. If i buy a my Version 2.0 i will also build such a camera on the top so you can see if someone nears approaches of behind. It would be very nice if it will give the pan tilt units in 2 , 3 or 4 number bigger. :D

control the turret via mouse is good but i think with Joystick it makes more fun.
I hope have to read myself I soon once time the entire interesting special here :)