PMC- Multi chambers

Boom! The classic potato gun harnesses the combustion of flammable vapor. Show us your combustion spud gun and discuss fuels, ratios, safety, ignition systems, tools, and more.
Petitlu
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:30 pm

I thought the concept of multi chambers to double the acceleration of the projectile, I do not know if this is true but hey I suggested the idea anyway ...
I have not yet seen a PAL operating with this principle.
So here is the pattern that speaks better than me!

Well, I did a test this afternoon and misery, no boom!
I think this is because the spark plug that is too withdrawn from the chamber, the mixture should not be up to it.

So I did another system in order to position my eletrodes where I want in the chamber :

With the electrode
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Unfortunately history suggests this is not a good idea :(

http://html2.free.fr/canons/v3.htm

If the Germans had focused on theK5 Glatt instead of pissing about with this multi-chambered gun, London would have suffered considerably.

It was discussed here several times, here's one thread: http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/second- ... t7286.html
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Petitlu
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:46 pm

Thin!
I stopped the project then?

:( :(
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:53 pm

When Saddam wanted to make a supergun, under the supervision of the brilliant Gerald Bull, they ignored the multi chamber design: http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/babongun.htm

In my opinion, you will not get better performance than simply using a bigger single chamber.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Petitlu
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:56 pm

ok...
I'll do a test anyway because I worked on this project ...
But I know that the result will be negative ...
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:14 pm

Do it for science! No experiment is wasted ;)
Petitlu
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:21 pm

Yes for science!:lol:
I also built another PAC, a little special... :wink:
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:47 am

A note about this:

http://www.utroninc.com/

Utron is a pretty advanced R&D firm, and they apparently gave the multi chambered gun a go:
Side-injection Gun. The side injector is, as the name implies, the accelerating energy coming in from chambers distributed along the barrel. Germany built and fired a side-injection gun named the Millipede during WWII. UTRON personnel have designed, built, and test fired several different versions of the side-injected gun using ET and ELGG technologies. The side-injected gun demonstrated velocities of 7.2 km/sec and, after much experimental work, it was learned that velocities no higher than a breech-feed gun could be reached.
Again, it's an attractive idea on paper, but of no practical benefit.
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:59 am

If you watch some of the flame propagation videos on this site for testing mixes, it would appear that multi chamber may have too slow of a burn rate.

As for lack of ignition due to the distance to the spark plug, that can be fixed by adding a marble or BB to the chamber so it can be shaken like a spray paint rattle can to mix and distribute the contents.

Multi chamber designs would work best with larger heavier slower projectiles.
mobile chernobyl
Corporal 3
Corporal 3
United States of America

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:13 am

Multi-chambers, while they may not reach a higher velocity, allow for a more controlled acceleration curve for sensitive projectiles. On a combustion basis that is about all you'll get that you can't with a larger chamber.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:36 am

mobile chernobyl wrote:Multi-chambers, while they may not reach a higher velocity, allow for a more controlled acceleration curve for sensitive projectiles. On a combustion basis that is about all you'll get that you can't with a larger chamber.
In this case however it's probably easier and cheaper to just use a rocket.