Bernzomatic Quickfire Cylnders Discontinued!!

Boom! The classic potato gun harnesses the combustion of flammable vapor. Show us your combustion spud gun and discuss fuels, ratios, safety, ignition systems, tools, and more.
motorfixer1
Private 4
Private 4

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:22 am

Earlier this week I was asked to be on the local radio station for a launcher demonstration. 95 WIIL Rock 95.1 fm in the southeast Wisconsin area to be exact. So I pulled out my T.B. launcher pictured here:

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/t-b-lau ... 23702.html

This is when I realize the fuel cylnder is on fumes (no pun intended) and I should buy a spare for the demonstration. After a trip to three stores I find a single cylnder at Tractor Supply Co. about 40 miles from my house. At the store the manager informs me that the cylnders have been discontinued and they won't be able to get them anymore!

To the internet! I finally find an online source and I place an order for four cylnders. After a couple of days I recieved an e-mail that the cylnders are out of stock and discoed as well.

As you can see from the pics of my launcher this little fuel source is pretty much it for the space provided! I've heard of people re-filling these but I'm not sure how and if it is safe to do. I guess when these run out back to the drawing board for something else.
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:08 pm

First safety. Propane expands when it warms. An expansion space in the tank is required. Never fill one full. Most accurate is to use a good kitchen scale and fill by weight. Lacking that, fill about 1/2 full so you have obvious slosh when you shake the container.

Second.. In the US it is illegal to transport a refilled single use container. Your mileage may vary.

I used to refill the one pound torch containers as propane is about 50 cents per lb. You can buy supplies online to fill from a bulk forklift tank that delivers liquid.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:28 am

motorfixer1 wrote:Earlier this week I was asked to be on the local radio station for a launcher demonstration. 95 WIIL Rock 95.1 fm in the southeast Wisconsin area to be exact.
How does that work exactly... do you shoot and it is described to the listeners? :?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
motorfixer1
Private 4
Private 4

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:16 am

We did an interview on the radio before hand inside the station, then we shot behind the radio station while on air. Afterward they posted videos/pics to their facebook page.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:40 am

Sweet :) did it all go well? Links? How did you get to be interviewed?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
motorfixer1
Private 4
Private 4

Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:15 pm

There are only a few pics on their fb page a little disappointing. if you are on fb their page is 95 WIIL ROCK a Morning Show and we were on tuesday morning.