A favor for someone... (2 neat cannons)

Boom! The classic potato gun harnesses the combustion of flammable vapor. Show us your combustion spud gun and discuss fuels, ratios, safety, ignition systems, tools, and more.
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:48 pm

Found this in an email...
All black: 2 sparks from AAA bat.BBQ ignitor,w/ fan.
Black+Blue:Pezeio, chamber short,heat bent PVC handle.

Admin: Can you post this? I can't run this machine very well.I'm to old. Thanks SJOG
So here ya go Steven, I'll post this picture for you.
Attachments
IMG_0059_1.JPG
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
Bluetooth
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:53 pm

I've seen someone named sjog on this forum before. I like the melted and bent PVC handle :D . For heating it did you use a blow torch?
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:06 pm

I think the u bolts/muffler clamps on the clean out is a nice trick, good thinking. One for each hand, also good thinking!!
PVC Arsenal 17
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:09 pm

NO blow torch. Jeez... not unless you want PVC soup.

Just use a paint stripper/heat gun. I've bent plenty PVC like that no prob.
Strange thing was though, the lettering on the pipe got baked on and wouldn't come off.
Bluetooth
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:13 pm

Whats a heat gun?
MisterSteve124
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:16 pm

Why couldn't you use a blow torch? That would work fine just don't hold it on it for more than like 2 seconds.
ProfessorAmadeus
Sergeant
Sergeant

Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:21 pm

It would be a little over kill. A heat gun is like a hair drier but it direct really hot air at something. Our hockey team uses one to give our sticks more of a curve for better shots.
Insomniac wrote:Hey why am I a goose???? Why not somthing a little more awe inspireing, like an eagle or something? LOL
SOO CUTE!! OMG!! I COULD JUST LICK YOU!!
benstern
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Donating Members

Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:21 pm

That handle is the coolest ever!!!!!!!!!!! :D
I want a how-to on how to make those handles!
CS

Donating Members

Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:53 pm

PVC Arsenal 17, you obviously haven't the foggiest to what your talking about. Using a term called 'moderation', it works. One simply doesn't hold the torch in one spot, rather the user 'runs' the torch along the bend not as to heat one region to much. Ive seen some plumbers that do it with weed burners as they are to impatient for smaller torches.

Hair dryer would take a pretty long time, although Ive used one that is used for applying thin plastic film to model airplanes, and it works. If I recall it emits temperatures around 150 degrees.

BenStern, I don't believe there was anything overly sophisticated occurring in the construction of that handle. Probably just hand bent, although you could fashion some dowel points to achieve nicer curves.

As to the guns... The first one is nice in its simplicity, and looks like a gun that will get its use. I love the second one for both being simple in operation, while being unique with the handle and all. Nothing outrageous, while distributing that typical linear flow of cannon building with some artful curves. Noice!
PVC Arsenal 17
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:26 pm

pimpmann22 wrote:PVC Arsenal 17, you obviously haven't the foggiest to what your talking about. Using a term called 'moderation', it works. One simply doesn't hold the torch in one spot, rather the user 'runs' the torch along the bend not as to heat one region to much. Ive seen some plumbers that do it with weed burners as they are to impatient for smaller torches.
Well, most people don't understand the concept of "moderation." If they did, America wouldn't be choc full of obese people suing McDonald's over their weight.

Sure, it can be done. But there's not much room for error when you have a 3 inch flame burning at 3000 degrees right next to PVC. Hang on too long, and it melts or distorts the pipe too much to use. And you'll most likely end up browning the pipe no matter what.

The plumbers you've seen have probably done it many times. Not many people are skilled enough to pull that off without harming the pipe. Of course it can be done, but a heat gun is a much more practical approach. Go try it. If you f-ck it up, too bad.
CS

Donating Members

Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:51 pm

"NO blow torch. Jeez... not unless you want PVC soup." ~PVC Arsenal 17

With this statement I thought you were pretty much making it clear that such was not in any way possible.

"Well, most people don't understand the concept of "moderation." If they did, America wouldn't be choc full of obese people suing McDonald's over their weight." ~PVC Arsenal 17

O sh*t, here we go again. BTW what in the hell does the fast food moderation in the United States have to do with moderation when heating a heat sensitive plastic? I guess while were at it, Ill expound a bit. I can only be responsible for myself, so I would not take the choice for America to intake fast food.

America being a fast paced society, we simply do not have time to prepare food for our selfs. Not that many people have sued McD's, once one considers the number of people eating there. What isn't it like over a BILLION people served? Sh*t that was like 6 years ago, I bet were at almost 2 billion. Also I must add the intake of fast food is not what is making Americans fatter, the lack of exercise is.

I eat fast food well over 200 times a year, and I maintain a ~8-10% body fat, and guarantee damn-tee you that I'm for physically fit then a lot of people of these forums. My friend set the record for the 100 meter dash, Navy wants to recruit him while only being a sophomore in HS, he is breaking records at tailback being only a sophomore, etc while he NEVER eats anything but fast food. His mom has not the time to prepare the food so they eat out everyday. He is extremely physically fit, yet he eats fast food. Hmmm, weird.

"Sure, it can be done. But there's not much room for error when you have a 3 inch flame burning at 3000 degrees right next to PVC. Hang on too long, and it melts or distorts the pipe too much to use. And you'll most likely end up browning the pipe no matter what." ~PVC Arsenal 17

Wow, were you just talking out of your ass? [JK] After seeing a few plumbers do it, I went home and tried it myself. This with no formal training, or any special skills. Id suspect the only one not capable to pull it off after first watching someone do it, is someone mentally ill. What really bugs me is your speaking out of no previous experience.
zeigs spud
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:09 am

wow those are very nice. they look very profesional. i love the wicked curve in the blue one thogh.
PVC Arsenal 17
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:09 am

pimpmann22 wrote:"NO blow torch. Jeez... not unless you want PVC soup." ~PVC Arsenal 17

With this statement I thought you were pretty much making it clear that such was not in any way possible.

"Well, most people don't understand the concept of "moderation." If they did, America wouldn't be choc full of obese people suing McDonald's over their weight." ~PVC Arsenal 17

O sh*t, here we go again. BTW what in the hell does the fast food moderation in the United States have to do with moderation when heating a heat sensitive plastic? I guess while were at it, Ill expound a bit. I can only be responsible for myself, so I would not take the choice for America to intake fast food.

America being a fast paced society, we simply do not have time to prepare food for our selfs. Not that many people have sued McD's, once one considers the number of people eating there. What isn't it like over a BILLION people served? Sh*t that was like 6 years ago, I bet were at almost 2 billion. Also I must add the intake of fast food is not what is making Americans fatter, the lack of exercise is.

I eat fast food well over 200 times a year, and I maintain a ~8-10% body fat, and guarantee damn-tee you that I'm for physically fit then a lot of people of these forums. My friend set the record for the 100 meter dash, Navy wants to recruit him while only being a sophomore in HS, he is breaking records at tailback being only a sophomore, etc while he NEVER eats anything but fast food. His mom has not the time to prepare the food so they eat out everyday. He is extremely physically fit, yet he eats fast food. Hmmm, weird.

"Sure, it can be done. But there's not much room for error when you have a 3 inch flame burning at 3000 degrees right next to PVC. Hang on too long, and it melts or distorts the pipe too much to use. And you'll most likely end up browning the pipe no matter what." ~PVC Arsenal 17

Wow, were you just talking out of your ass? [JK] After seeing a few plumbers do it, I went home and tried it myself. This with no formal training, or any special skills. Id suspect the only one not capable to pull it off after first watching someone do it, is someone mentally ill. What really bugs me is your speaking out of no previous experience.
I don't care if you're the most physically fit. That doesn't matter. I was just making a point. Everything is bad for you in excess, whether you can see it or not. I can guaran-damn-tee that you're friend, though physically fit, will loose his good health once he decides to stop exercising.
Hell, drink too much WATER and your blood dilutes and you can die. Use too much salt you get high blood pressure. Eat too much sugar and get fat!

And Pimp... I can safely assume that you are one the brighter people in this world and obviously you have experience with making things. I'm sure YOU can do it. Go out and find some dumbass or one of those suitcase-and-tie-businessmen (don't they just piss you off?) and have them do it. Watch as they melt the pipe and then BBQ their hand. I know this guy and he's really cool and all but he probably couldn't tell a hacksaw from a screwdriver.

I was just making a suggestion. Use a blowtorch but don't surprised if your lack of skill makes you wreck it.

I always say "anything's possible" but that does not mean that whatever you're trying to do will be easy.
CS

Donating Members

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:53 am

**Following text is concerning the heat induced bending of PVC, and American fast food**

The two examples I provided were to solely illustrate that eating a excess of fast food does not make you fat. The lack of exercise to compensate for it makes you fat. Its like the old controversy, "Do guns kill people?" NO! People kill people, they do it without guns. Fast food make increase the ease to become fat, but it doesn't cause it. It is very plausible if he drops the exercising while maintaining the fast food diet that he may in fact become un-fit. I think you have been largely polluted to the worlds left wingers, some how the government should be responsible for preventing the general consumer from anything that may hurt them to the smallest degree.

Id think if ones intelligence was high enough to participate in basic tasks such as communicating, eating, etc that you could pull off such a procedure. Maybe a f*cked up trial run, but thats it. Yes, book smart people piss me off. Its the only thing they can compete in. [I watched the spelling bee today on ESPN, and this Indian kid of 13 years, could not hold his ~10 lbs trophy above his head. Biceps looked like my thumbs.]

Our opinions differ greatly on the ease of such. Having previous experience I would deem my opinion to be more reputable, but whatever.
killagorrila99
Sergeant 2
Sergeant 2

Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:26 am

Nice guns. We need people on this forum to stop bitching about other peoples guns and actually build one's like these.
"I'm sorry, Mr.Bush cant come to the phone right now, He's playing cleudo with Mr. Cheney And he has him in the Cupboard with a broom stick" -White house receptionist.