Pressurized Pilot Release Valve

Harness the power of precision mixtures of pressurized flammable vapor. Safety first! These are advanced potato guns - not for the beginner.
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:06 pm

So... I think I'm finally turning back to working on my hybrid. I'm only missing a few critical components, one being a release valve for the pressurized pilot. If my LaTex algebra is good, only about 136psi is required at 20X.

Right now I'm considering a design that I don't think has been tried on here. If it works it should be simple and reliable, though limited in scope. Of note is that this design will respond only to a rapid increase in pressure, but should do so from any initial pressure.

It looks very much like a traditional QDV, save for a small hole down the axis of the piston. When there is a pressure rise on one side of the piston, the flow down the axial hole is not great enough to maintain equilibrium, and the piston retracts, venting the valve.

Thoughts?
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:31 pm

This is old, but since no one has asked yet, I'm doing it;

I understand the operating principle you are trying to apply here, but I'd like to see how you intend to implement it in a balanced valve. A quick mspaint drawing would be fine.

It sounds like a good idea, though it will probably require an additional semi-perfect seal.