pico BBMG - 1mm calibre HPA

Building or modifying BB, Airsoft, and Pellet type of guns. Show off your custom designs, find tips and other discussion. Target practice only!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:32 pm

Ragnarok wrote:The smaller BBs will presumably accelerate faster within the vortex block, but what does that actually mean for ROF?
Compare 4.5mm to 1mm at 420 fps, the rash does seem to spread faster with the smaller calibre ;)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
psycix
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4

Donating Members

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:58 pm

Nail art?
Oh yes, you should definitely post this on a nail art forum. :D
Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:43 am

psycix wrote:Oh yes, you should definitely post this on a nail art forum. :D
be my guest :P

*shudder*

Damn I'm glad I was born with male genitalia!
:roll: :D
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:01 pm

This is your final warning JSR!!

Don't put up such disturbing links.. :D

Better swap it with a nail dart forum link...

Any update yet? Maybe cast it into a nice shell or something?
Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:36 am

Horrific, isn't it?

No plans to make a shell for it, this is for the sentry and I like having the worky bits showing :) I still have to make the ball sizer :roll: for reliable function, and add the servo that operates the trigger, when I eventually receive the bloody things.
Insomniac
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:04 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
psycix wrote:Oh yes, you should definitely post this on a nail art forum. :D
be my guest :P

*shudder*

Damn I'm glad I was born with male genitalia!
:roll: :D
Argh! What is this I don't even...
I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:14 pm

Now that I'm close to getting the turret to work, I'm taking a closer look at making this project reliable. I made a BB sorter as per this concept, see the attached pic (looks a bit like a tiny version of potatoflinger'sairsoft claymore :D) - the epoxy is still curing so I don't know if it works yet (or indeed if it works too well and turns into a centrifuge gun, must remember to turn the drill to its lowest setting :roll:)

I'm also considering an alternative configuration that has the BB reservoir and valve mounted on the turret base, that then feeds into the barrel through flexible tubing, meaning the servos would have to deal with a lot less load and be a lot more responsive, I might actually be able to use the lighter servos I ordered.
Attachments
BBsorter.JPG
dewey-1
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:19 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:centrifuge gun, must remember to turn the drill to its lowest setting
I started to build that gun back when I was a sophmore in high school!
Remember it well. Got about 75% done then other interests came along.(girls)
Never did finish it.

I probably still have the magazine.
They always had neat projects for youngsters to build back then!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:32 pm

dewey-1 wrote:They always had neat projects for youngsters to build back then!
... sadly seemingly incompatible with most of today's youth, that's why this forum is so refreshing :)

edit: the sorter worked reasonably well, though I got it to work much faster by sticking a nylon strap in my drill chuck and agitating the BBs from the inside. End result, all the BBs I tried "filtered" through, ergo oversize BBs are not the problem with reliability - back to the drawing board on the design...
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Mon May 10, 2010 6:23 pm

Actually, I found an approximated formula for relationship between muzzle velocity and projectile mass, very approximate because our guns aren't perfect, but muzzle velocity ratio is about equal to the square root of the reciprocal of the mass ratio. Just thought that might be relevant and useful.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:02 pm

After a brief hiatus from my workbench, got 1mm BBMG version 2 up and running, with a more carefully built vortex block which turned out to be much more reliable. Testing at ranges beyond point blank proved disappointing though, here it is firing at a tic-tac box with a polystyrene meat tray backing from 6 feet away.

[youtube][/youtube]

You can't really see the impacts, but the camera captured the moment a ricochet shattered the bulb of my floodlight (which as you might remember was left exposed from a 3mm BBMG test :roll:) ah well...

No trouble penetrating the meat tray but there wasn't any one-shot penetration of the box. From a foot away it will happily punch through a cd case, or an alumium beer can. A test against the latter target from six feet away didn't produce a single penetrating hit, just a bunch of dents (and corresponding cloud of stinging ricochets :?)

The idea going so small was that the projectiles would be powerful enough to cause significant damage from 10-15 feet away, but lose power enough for stray shots to be "safe". I hadn't banked on power dropping off this sharply though, and the fact that the spread of shot is greater at distances disperses the impact which makes the effect on target even worse.

Looks like I've hit a dead end, there's no question of increasing pressure, valve opening is aready much greater than the tiny 1mm outlet , and a longer barrel (currently at 13 inches) will make it too unweildy for sentry gun purposes...
Attachments
1mmbbmg2.JPG
Hotwired
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:23 pm

What you need is to be firing something with more mass than sand grains if you're going to fire them one at a time down a tube :)
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:08 pm

You might have an appropriately small point there... either that or seeing if my vortex block construction will stand up to unregged 3,000 psi air :roll:

Or perhaps I should just build an aperture science style testing chamber :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:31 pm

On second thoughts, a couple of quick half second bursts from across the room are pretty damaging... if only I could get it to shoot reliably!
Attachments
CIMG0224.JPG
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:44 pm

if only I could get it to shoot reliably
try an inline cloud built from a pipe nipple... mine is quite reliable

I am going to test what effect chamebr volume and valve flow have on feeding...
Children are the future

unless we stop them now