Handmade Airsoft Recurve Crossbow, Shoots 6mm

Building or modifying BB, Airsoft, and Pellet type of guns. Show off your custom designs, find tips and other discussion. Target practice only!
jacoblesann
Private 2
Private 2

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:25 am

A while back I made this steel recurve crossbow. Always wanted to make a crossbow for airsoft, so I went ahead and did it. It uses a 20 pound (ish) draw steel bow with wooden siyahs to decrease weight and shorten the working length. Sights are windage and elevation adjustable, safety optional, and bow can be taken off the stock for storage. I do not own a chrony, but I'd say it shoots 140-180 FPS with some .30 gram bbs. It's no speed demon, but that's because it's supposed to simulate a crossbow.

I'm very proud of it, and enjoy how it came out. Hope you guys like it!

(BTW, I am aware shooting airsoft bbs can be considered dryfiring a crossbow. That is an issue with 150 pound fiberglass and wood bows, but with a steel bow that's only 20 pounds, there is no real issue, it can take it. I am also aware that I can convert the crossbow to a spring-piston design. I don't see the point in that, it wouldn't be a true crossbow anymore. Thanks for understanding.)

[youtube] [/youtube]
Last edited by jrrdw on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded video.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:35 am

jacoblesann wrote:I am also aware that I can convert the crossbow to a spring-piston design. I don't see the point in that, it wouldn't be a true crossbow anymore. Thanks for understanding.)
I had done exactly that for a school project back in the day, mechanically interesting but for practical purposes not really useful compared to a bolt action spring powered airsoft rifle.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
jacoblesann
Private 2
Private 2

Wed May 08, 2019 5:01 pm

Late reply but looking back on this yeah I whole heartedly agree. Issue with crossbows is that high power means a heavy projectile is used to that there is enough energy transfer. Airsoft bbs weigh nothing, and if you make a bow too powerful it will either break or vibrate violently. Either way, definitely nothing more than a novelty.