First post and first gun- 6mm SML (Small Munitions Launcher)

Miniature guns are novelty custom, unique, and sometime downright crude! Common construction materials often include pill bottles or pens. Show us your work!
c11man
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:28 pm

i dont understand the "revised" version i dont see a chamber

and all the c:b test you are using are not too much good for a pneumatic, those test are for a cumbustion, and those test gave the most efficency. for a pneumatic basicly the bigger chamber the better. but as you get above about 2:1 ratio the extra power is often not noticalbe
julktyl
Private 2
Private 2

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:56 pm

No worries, Techie.

c11man, thanks for pointing out that the tests were done with a combustion cannon, i didn't notice that. :? Thanks also for the chamber info. As for the revised version, the chamber was the "stock" of the gun since i thought the chamber had to be that small.

I've redesigned... once again... because I was making it way more complex than it had to be. I threw out the idea of making a piston valve, started from scratch, and this is what I came up with. Thanks to c11man's info on the bigger the chamber, the better for pneumatics, I'll have to make a bigger chamber.

Let me know what you think, and remember, that isn't the final chamber.
Attachments
SML with labels
SML with labels
New new SML with pen for scale
New new SML with pen for scale
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:01 pm

That's more like it, get yourself a shock pump and at 400 psi it should be pretty impressive for its size.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:15 pm

Burnt Latke's Chamber to Barrel Ratio Tests
yeah c11man is right, it's for combustions

also he is right that you might have used a larger chamber... your first chamber was too large but this one could be slightly larger... you should be fine with a 3" length of 1/2" pipe... esspecially if you want to use a longer barrel

of course it's completely up to you and the source of air that you have

I have to admit that in the past I was a big fan of c:b ratios smaller than 1:1... normally they were lower than 0.5:1

but now that I have a fridge compressor with a tank I don't mind using ratios close to 2:1 especially on a small bore launchers that don't use much air anyway
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
julktyl
Private 2
Private 2

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:22 pm

As a matter of fact, I'm looking at shock pumps as we speak. :D

Trying to find one for decent price, will be pretty much just like the beto shock pump you bought. 400 psi here I come!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:24 pm

julktyl wrote:Trying to find one for decent price, will be pretty much just like the beto shock pump you bought. 400 psi here I come!
Excellent, shouldn't be hard to find a good one for not much $$$. You might want to move to a longer barrel in future too, it will make a considerable difference in power.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
julktyl
Private 2
Private 2

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:35 pm

POLAND_SPUD, I'll see if i can find something along those lines for a chamber.

jsr, brake line is very easy to customize lengths. Sometime in the future I might do some tests similar to Burnt Latke's to figure out the optimal c:b ratio for airsoft BBs.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:43 pm

Or you could download GGDT ;)
julktyl
Private 2
Private 2

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:51 pm

Ha so that's what that is. I've seen it mentioned here before but never bothered to look it up. Thanks a lot
Techie
Private 3
Private 3

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:57 pm

I've redesigned... once again... because I was making it way more complex than it had to be. I threw out the idea of making a piston valve, started from scratch, and this is what I came up with. Thanks to c11man's info on the bigger the chamber, the better for pneumatics, I'll have to make a bigger chamber.
that's EXACTLY what i was thinking it could be made. due to my stupid lack of parts(pretty sad as its just a few connectors) i couldn't build it.