air bursting concept

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
Lentamentalisk
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:49 pm

Flamethrower=really bad idea, and even a paint one wouldn't get around a wall...

Why wouldn't mortars be allowed in tanks? I see no reason for them not to be, and what is to say that you didn't just shoot your cannon at a high angle? It is exactly the same thing.
Do not look back, and grieve over the past, for it is gone;
Do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come;
Live life in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.
Biopyro
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:23 am

Maximum range of a water cannon could be up to 30m(100ft) if you made it well. You could fire it up and over to get campers and directly at people without risk of injury (at ranges above 5m[15ft]) Not to mention the fact you'd be able to take out far more people with one charge.

7bar water cannon
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -Benjamin Franklin
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:16 pm

that 7bar water cannon is not exactly what I was thinking about but thanks for providing the link...

I was thinking about something slightly less complicated - it think this thing is called a soaker ? of course you don't have to use 7 bar... 30 bar would be better
Biopyro
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:31 pm

Maybe more like this very simple design, but not quite as much flow.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -Benjamin Franklin
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:47 pm

yeah basically something like that...would that be good for paintaball/airsoft at 30 - 50 bar, hmm ? :D
MalcomFrost
Private
Private

Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:00 pm

From what I've read, flamethrowers used in paintball are little more than backpack style water guns filled with paint. You might get 50' out of one if that, which would be good for wiping out players who get too close to your tank, but not very effective on targets that could hit you from +50'.

I'd say your best bet would be to have your tank's machinegunner lay down suppression fire and have some of your infantry flank him. If you spray enough paint at him, he'll keep his head down.
iknowmy3tables
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:30 pm

there is a limitation for both real flame thrower and waterguns, which is there range, you can push all the pressure you want but the liquid disperses in air, the pressure fights the cohesion of the water, which is what a garden hose with a nozzle has more range than a pressure washer with over 2000psi of pressure and the same garden hose input, the only solution is to launch a higher volume of water like a fire hose where the extra water has more weight and cohesion allowing more range, and in that case you'll need a lot of water to carry

regardless a flame thrower is just unpractical also because unlike a real flame thrower water isn't burning off in flight giving flight advantage and less violence no one wants there paintballs or balls soaking wet
SEAKING9006
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:48 pm

You know, it may take a little working, but there is another way to do the airburst thing.

1: Use a laser rangefinder to find the distance to target.
2: Input distance to target in a micro controller on launcher.
3: Micro controller uses preset values to determine time to target.
4: Micro controller sends value to a 555 embedded in the rear section of the round.
5: When fired, the 555 counts down.
6: When 555 reaches the value, a servo or other small motor releases a small parachute, pulling the rear of the round from the molded foam front, sending flour everywhere.

Complicated, and maybe expensive, but it's a pretty good option. I still think a TOW-like setup would be the most reliable, though.
robbo@robbo
Private 3
Private 3

Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:23 am

i was just thinking, i saw pearl horbour the other day( yea was the misses)
and the bombs that were dropped had a tiny prop on the front
couldn't something like that work here? if the prop spud via air resistance and tighted a peice of cotten to the point it would break and release the two sides of the canister holding the flour
thus air burst
would that not work?