Ricochet damage projectile.

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
SpudFarm
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:32 pm

As some of you remember from my time of ignorance, I had a bad ricochet that almost penetrated the wall of a nearby building.
The ammo was a APFSDS round at 170g traveling slightly over the speed of sound as I can remember.
The target was a 1" steel plate wich now turns out to be something awfully hard like armour or tool steel.

Well, my brother bought that house and is now doing renovation. As he was taking the panels of the walls and tearing out the insulation he found what I spent so many hours looking for.
It had penetrated the wall completely sideways and crushed anything in its way before lodging itself in the drywall at the very end. Pretty lucky it didn't penetrate 100% eh?

Thought it might be interesting to see for those who remember, and it goes to show that you should not mess around with spudguns. I learn't my lesson that day.

Edit: This is a very similar projectile before firing.
Last edited by SpudFarm on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:52 pm

Holy cow that's frightening. Impressive, interesting damage to the round itself.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm gonna vote for this to be stickied as a general safety warning to all, especially hybrid users.
Stolly32123
Private 3
Private 3

Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:58 pm

wow that must have been "fun". i dont know what that thing in the picture is though. please enlighten me
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:06 pm

That's what left of his round... extremely deformed and destroyed.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:06 am

Fork in hell.
The target was a 1" steel plate which now turns out to be something awfully hard like armour or tool steel.

One should never overestimate the strength of a target, but in this case it seems it was underestimated :shock: lucky shot, glad you lived unscathed to learn the lesson :)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
SpudFarm
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:04 pm

JDP: The damage was quite interesting, when you look at the projectile first hand you can see the stress put on it. The sides is punched in and cracked in various places.
Stolly: It was something like this before firing.

I would certainly like to know the speed it hit the wall with.

JSR: This was one of the reasons I retired the cannon for quite some time, now it is in a safer place.
I am happy it didn't hit me, I imagine it could be quite nasty :P
Last edited by SpudFarm on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:02 pm

Yea its almost an elliptical cross section now instead of circular. Possibly the round skewed and hit sideways? More likely I think it it hitting point on and all that force being transferred through the projectile on an angle, forcing the steel into all sorts of weird shapes
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:13 pm

nice. I had a similar experience with a nail dart and 1/2" steel plate.

my 3/8" APFSDS round didn't deform, but bounced out of the dent and fell just short of me, my friend, my compressor, and my EX-F1.

And the morale of the story is... :idea:
POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
SpudFarm
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:14 am

JDP12 wrote:skewed and hit sideways?
That is what happened, however I didn't think it would crush the tip of the projectile like that.
"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
JDP12
Staff Sergeant 5
Staff Sergeant 5

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:24 am

Well judgin by the pictures, it would appear that the tip wasn't so much crushed as ripped off. the damage to it does not look crushed, it looks sheared off. Possibly your metal of the APFSDS was brittle?
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:57 pm

It looks more like a tear than a fracture to me.
POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
SpudFarm
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Donating Members

Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:57 pm

I think what happened was that the tip was pressed about 1/4" into the steel target and when the rod started bending the front was still stuck so it was torn off as you guys said.

But I have now found some new steel targets that I will be shooting at as soon as I get my new union from Mobile.
Rock plates should be good to stop ricochets.
"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.