Thornily Rating Calculator and what 600 fps can do.

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
Hotwired
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:07 pm

I'm thinking very strongly about a launcher shorter than the one I already have, at a slightly higher pressure. I put the numbers in and I get a relative power of 1213.

I'm not quite convinced I'd be saved from being trampled to match the colour of the dust. I think it has too much weight on projectile diameter.
Last edited by Hotwired on Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spudtyrrant
Corporal
Corporal

Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:12 pm

my 3" porting piston cannon gets a healthy 6,851 on the scale with a mountain dew bottle lol
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:08 pm

Hotwired wrote:I think it has too much weight on projectile diameter.
Bear in mind, it was only designed to work with projectiles between about .17" and 1.00".
While its correlation might be good within or close to that range, outside that range, you can expect it to start to experience problems.

For example, a 100 mph baseball comes in at 230 on this scale. 150 mph tennis serve comes out at 130.
Although those are near world record speeds, I can't see many dead bears, lions or pink elephants resulting from either. Angry bears, lions or pink elephants maybe, but not dead ones - you simply wouldn't break the skin.

We're putting in numbers outside what it's supposed to accept, and that's breaking the system. If you're not within or close to typical firearm ranges of velocity, mass and diameter (also indirectly, density) - of course it's going to give dodgy figures.
The weighting on velocity has particular problems at the low end - it's possible to have very high Thornily figures with low velocities, and thus energies that just aren't enough.

I've got my own theories on "Stopping power equations" based on the output of my terminal ballistics modeller and fatality statistics, but it's already past midnight, and I'm not going to push the already stretched rules any further.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
spudtyrrant
Corporal
Corporal

Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:16 pm

Ragnarok wrote:
Hotwired wrote:I think it has too much weight on projectile diameter.
Bear in mind, it was only designed to work with projectiles between about .17" and 1.00".
While its correlation might be good within or close to that range, outside that range, you can expect it to start to experience problems.

For example, a 100 mph baseball comes in at 230 on this scale. 150 mph tennis serve comes out at 130.
Although those are near world record speeds, I can't see many dead bears, lions or pink elephants resulting from either. Angry bears, lions or pink elephants maybe, but not dead ones - you simply wouldn't break the skin.

We're putting in numbers outside what it's supposed to accept, and that's breaking the system. If you're not within or close to typical firearm ranges of velocity, mass and diameter (also indirectly, density) - of course it's going to give dodgy figures.
The weighting on velocity has particular problems at the low end - it's possible to have very high Thornily figures with low velocities, and thus energies that just aren't enough.

I've got my own theories on "Stopping power equations" based on the output of my terminal ballistics modeller and fatality statistics, but it's already past midnight, and I'm not going to push the already stretched rules any further.
yeah well that's true i put in a 200gr a.338 bullet going 3340fps and it came out at 158 i would much rather be hit by a professional tennis serve then a .338 lapua magnum lol.

edit: fun fact .700 nitro express comes out at 943 and it is really capable of taking down an elephant
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:21 am

spudtyrrant wrote:fun fact .700 nitro express comes out at 943 and it is really capable of taking down an elephant
.500 S&W Magnum has been used for successful elephant (not of the pink variety) hunting, at around 200 on the scale.
In fact, even .44 Magnum has been used for successful elephant kills, at 100 on the scale. It does however take a good shot...

Things like .577 T-rex (around ~575) and .700 Nitro are really more "Oh ****, the elephant's charging me" rounds.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:48 am

Ragnarok wrote:In fact, even .44 Magnum has been used for successful elephant kills, at 100 on the scale. It does however take a good shot...
There are documented cases of elephants being taken down with the humble 22 long rifle, hitting specific arteries which causes them to bleed to death internally, however of course these are exceptional cases and putting down a charging elephant requires a tremendous projectile to get through the layers of skull and tissue protecting its brain.
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:02 am

700 nitro express
lol this guy knows how to handle recoil
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members