custom suppressor for small calibres

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:58 pm

No JSR I could really hear them flying... Most of my spudguns use 1/2' and 3/4' steel pipes and fittings so i can easily change barrels and chambers in just a few minutes. Usually I use barrels that have greater volume than the chamber - because a 300 psi BANG is something that my ears don't aprove of. :drunken:

I could clearly hear buzzing sound of nails flying in the air (I suppose that was something similar to beehive artilery rounds mentioned several times on this forum) as well as steel bolts or 5 cm long pieces of 1 cm thick steel rod ( they were esspecially nosiy possibly becasue of uneven surface and remainds of welds on them )

I don't see any reasonable reason why nobody has encountered that or at least hasn't wrote about that yet

I suppose that there wouldn't be much noise made if I used ball bearings or other smooth projectiles - but anyway it is fun to hear what you shoot. :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:20 pm

In the case of irregular projectiles then yes I'd expect an amount of noise as it cut through the air, for example I remember this instance where Spudinator was impressed by the noise made by the tail of his co2 capsule slugs.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
ALIHISGREAT
Staff Sergeant 3
Staff Sergeant 3

Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:33 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:In the case of irregular projectiles then yes I'd expect an amount of noise as it cut through the air, for example I remember this instance where Spudinator was impressed by the noise made by the tail of his co2 capsule slugs.
hmm it souds like they make a pretty nice noise, i have thought about making tail fins for an empty 12g co2 i found in my garage.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:04 pm

Finally got my hands on the threaded aluminium bit, all it needs now is a lick of paint. Here it is filled and sanded ready for paint:
Attachments
sup3.jpg
sup1.jpg
sup2.jpg
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:20 am

And here's the final product, painted, clear-coated and polished :)
Attachments
supfin1.jpg
Novacastrian
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:40 am

Very sexy indeed, i hope you are charging top dollar for your "services".
That is of coarse if you are selling these :wink:
America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:12 am

I'm charging the equivalent of 100 AUD for this one, a bargain for all the love I put into them :cry:
jon_89
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:45 pm

I am going to try to make one of these for my crossman 1377. Will using different pipe sizes have different effects?
Lentamentalisk
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:27 pm

use your brain... a larger volume will increase the silencing effect... thanks for the bump.
Do not look back, and grieve over the past, for it is gone;
Do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come;
Live life in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:32 am

As above, with suppressors there is no substitute for cubic capacity, so make it as big as you're willing to live with for maximum effect.
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:53 pm

so make it as big as you're willing to live with for maximum effect.
That's what my wife always says...

Love the suppressor! Good job
Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:33 am

Brian the brain wrote:That's what my wife always says...
In that case, I recommend pressing her face firmly against a pillow for effective noise suppression :D
jon_89
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:55 pm

will a long or short suppressor with the same volume be more effective?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:44 am

Longer would be better as it gives the gasses more time to dissipate within the suppressor before the projectile leaves the muzzle.

However, you're usually limited not by volume but by length and width, so make it as long and fat as you can. If you make it square instead of cylindrical, you'll get an almost 30% increase in volume for the same external dimensions, and it will still look cool:

jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:24 am

Funny development, turns out this device I made almost 5 years ago changed hands a couple of times and was eventually purchased by one of the most prolific airgun collectors in epoxyland. He called me up yesterday out of the blue and invited me to view his collection, which was fantastic, and included shooting a suppressed rimfire carbine at phone books in his living room :roll:

The best thing is that I got commisioned to make more suppressors :D and now I have much better facilities. Here's the first of the lot, looking forward to testing it soon :)
Attachments
shinsungsuppressorv2.jpg