Multi-division cannon contest

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
starman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Donating Members

Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:07 pm

There was some spirited discussion a month or two ago regarding holding a new cannon contest. It was right on the heels of the favorite cannon vote that took place in April and May.

As I remember, there had been some tentative headway made on rules, entry fees, etc., even some premature donations to the cause. The topic was SF contest.

In any case, I thought I would throw it back out on the table for discussion for those interested and a possible point from which to move forward.
Last edited by starman on Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MaxuS the 2nd
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:09 pm

Aye, we need a competition.
Badman
potatoflinger
Sergeant 2
Sergeant 2

Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:10 pm

Sounds good, I also have a few new projects up my sleeve :twisted:
It's hard to soar with eagles when you're working with turkeys.
Sticky_Tape
Sergeant 2
Sergeant 2

Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:21 pm

I have some ideas too. we need a contest without entry fees.
You can tell how awesome a cannon is by the pressure used.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/high-pr ... 12803.html
xnt rnm ne z ahtbg
Mr.Sandman
Corporal 3
Corporal 3

Donating Members

Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:37 pm

and maybe a cost limit. also some originality
starman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Donating Members

Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:47 pm

Sticky_Tape wrote:I have some ideas too. we need a contest without entry fees.
I believe it would be prudent to charge at least a minimum entry fee, say $10 - $20 for nothing else than to provide some funds for the winner's prize money. It also tends to limit entries to serious participants and encourage innovation.
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:56 pm

and maybe a cost limit. also some originality
Bad idea. You have no way of telling whether someone bought something, or just had it lying around.

If the contest had no entry fee, it couldn't have a prize, and that would be a pretty pointless contest. If someone isn't willing to pay a small entry fee (say $20 or so), then they aren't serious about competing, and will most likely just clutter up the entries.

I'm all for the idea of a contest, but we need to get PCGUY to do something about it. It might be a bit late for a summer contest though. Perhaps judging around the start of November or so?
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
starman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Donating Members

Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:06 pm

DYI wrote: I'm all for the idea of a contest, but we need to get PCGUY to do something about it. It might be a bit late for a summer contest though. Perhaps judging around the start of November or so?
Yeah amazingly, summer is about over, in the Northern Hemisphere of course. Personally, I don't like working in the shop in the summer, would much rather have a little nip in the air.

If we started now, judging in late Nov. would give us 4 months to work on the projects. There would have to be some decision on what constitutes a "new" cannon. 2 months ago it was a cannon that had not previously been presented on Spudfiles. Do you start the clock then or now?
Last edited by starman on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VH_man
Staff Sergeant 4
Staff Sergeant 4

Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:39 pm

i agree in a new contest.......

and i will happily pay an entry fee....... in fact i have my idea already...... :D
DYI
First Sergeant 5
First Sergeant 5
Antigua & Barbuda

Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:58 pm

Yeah amazingly, summer is about over, in the Northen Hemisphere of course. Personally, I don't like working in the shop in the summer, would much rather have a little nip in the air.

If we started now, judging in late Nov. would give us 4 months to work on the projects. There would have to be some decision on what constitutes a "new" cannon. 2 months ago it was a cannon that had not previously been presented on Spudfiles. Do you start the clock then or now?
Summer never started here... The weather from May onward has been consistent with the norm for late August - about 20 Celcius, somewhat windy, cold at night, and swimming in the lake isn't very comfortable. Come to think of it, the weather for the past 12 months seems to have been dulled very much from the extremes it usually reaches :?
On the other hand, it's been wonderful weather for spudding; warm enough that you can feel your hands, and cool enough that you don't work up too much of a sweat lugging around 70 pound chunks of steel.

Now, on to the actual topic...
I believe the clock should be started whenever it becomes official that the contest has started. If no one has already, I'll PM PCGUY about the prospects for a new contest, and we can go from there. If he doesn't want to organise one, we can always do a smaller, member-run contest.
Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
starman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Donating Members

Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:06 pm

DYI wrote:I'll PM PCGUY about the prospects for a new contest, and we can go from there. If he doesn't want to organise one, we can always do a smaller, member-run contest.
Sounds good! I've PM'd him as well. Either way maybe we can get something official started soon.

20 C sounds splendid to me for a summer temp. It's been in the high 80s/low 90s F and very typical southern summer temps around here. It will be like that until second week or so in Sept. when the heat and humidity break...then just gradual cooling.
rp181
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:24 pm

curse the weak dollar, 20USD will be firewood for some =)
MrCrowley

Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:03 pm

I've got nothing up my sleeve but i'm all in for a contest.
TwitchTheAussie
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:55 am

I cant really afford an entry fee and I dont even have paypal so we might need another form of paying. Im all for it and I'd love to enter my new baby when she's done but theres no way I can enter because of the fee. Im gonna put forth my old opinion of paying entry in spud bux and have an online prize (custom title or depending on the need mod priveledges and loads of spud bux).
Either way my only beef is the entry fee but Im behind the idea all the way.
Raise your horns if you love metal.
spudgunning is like sex, once you've tasted, you can't wait til next time.
-
CpTn_lAw
mobile chernobyl
Corporal 3
Corporal 3
United States of America

Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:14 am

This sounds like a motivating way to get a project done. I will need info as well on what is constituted as a "contest entry" worthy gun - i.e. if it has been shown prior to date, or w/e the specifications shall be. I may have to change a thread I just posted :wink: