self-contained hybrid pistol concept

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:41 pm

I made a diagram of how I would build a hybrid with an on-board fuel supply and integrated pump, it seems like it's feasible but the thought of getting cartridges to work reliably sounds more appealing now :roll:
Attachments
hybridselfcontained.jpg
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:52 pm

Why not use a wood nailer/tacker as a base?
That would give you fuelcells, the right mixture etc.
Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:00 pm

hmm... there is a detent, but why it isn't the main valve ??

ohh consider loading ammo from behind
Attachments
this should work... you might even turn it into a coaxial... ignore the air cylinder and that automated metering stuff
this should work... you might even turn it into a coaxial... ignore the air cylinder and that automated metering stuff
automated hybrid.PNG (32.78 KiB) Viewed 4838 times
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:16 pm

POLAND_SPUD wrote:hmm... there is a detent, but why it isn't the main valve?
Adding the piston reduces stress on the magazine, something you avoid by adding a separate bolt.
POLAND_SPUD wrote:from behind
My usual choice :D

As I said though, I probably won't be trying to make this. Just wanted to sketch out what's needed to see if it would be practical.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:26 pm

Adding the piston reduces stress on the magazine, something you avoid by adding a separate bolt.
Not if the gun is loaded
from behind
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:29 pm

Basically this with the blowgun replaced by fuel+air+spark?
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:34 pm

yeah
and it might work well with this idea ->
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... tml#310498
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:47 pm

POLAND_SPUD wrote:yeah
and it might work well with this idea
Flooding the chamber with fuel and filling to a fixed air pressure certainly makes charging simpler, but you're going to need to add an on-board precisely regulated HPA tank for multiple shots as well as the fuel reservoir, so in short the final result will be at least the size of an assault rifle.

What I was after with this design was something small and compact that could be refilled with a single stroke, certainly it won't be the most powerful launcher. Changing the geometry and upping the calibre could give you more muzzle energu on a pump-action shotgun style package.
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:02 pm

but you're going to need to add an on-board precisely regulated HPA tank for multiple shots as well as the fuel reservoir
not necessarily... a typical lighter should be able to provide enough fuel for at least 15 shots, maybe more

who said you need a HPA setup ? put a pump on teh gun and check how many strokes you need to reach the ideal mix

not what I am after but it is certainly an option
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
nature-boy
Private 3
Private 3

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:03 pm

Looks tricky, but build-able, I like it, especially the double-pump-metering-system.
But I see two problems and one idea for improvement:

- Due to the fact, that one pump-piston will have a much larger surface, there will be a torsional moment at the point where the (larger-) pump-shaft meets the pump-handle. The whole construction would have to be very rigid...

-You would most probably have to add a little chute in the barrel, to avoid the balls from being pushed in the wrong direction (leading to multi-feeding...)

I would recommend furthermore, that you change the position of the fuel-line to the pump and add a check-valve , because otherwise you would have to seal the shaft of the smaller pump.

I added my thoughts to the diagram:
Edit: Don't ask me why there is a small red arrow on the right. I don't know. :)
Attachments
download,id,19220.jpeg
Last edited by nature-boy on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:07 pm

I'd like to describe your solution as simply elegant.

Different piston/tube diameters for calibrated propane/air flow rates is about the best idea I've seen for repeater hybrid fueling so far. If you can get this to work it'll put the pump-action combustion I'm building to shame, even if it is about 50 times smaller. :roll:
nature-boy
Private 3
Private 3

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:15 pm

@mark.f

...the funny thing is, IMO building a pump action hybrid, would be easier to build as a regular 1x combustion, because you would not have to vent the chamber between shots, what I find the most complicated part, and if you already build the metering system for a combustion, you would only have to pressurize the (rich) mix for a hybrid.
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:17 pm

I have a little something planned out (that I posted here as well). Not too terribly complicated but slightly tricky to build.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:20 pm

POLAND_SPUD wrote:a typical lighter should be able to provide enough fuel for at least 15 shots, maybe more
Exactly what I had in mind as a fuel source ;)
who said you need a HPA setup ? put a pump on teh gun and check how many strokes you need to reach the ideal mix
I'd rather have *click-click* bang as opposed to *click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click* bang ;)
Due to the fact, that one pump-piston will have a much larger surface, there will be a torsional moment at the point where the (larger-) pump-shaft meets the pump-handle. The whole construction would have to be very rigid...
Moar epoxy ;)
You would most probably have to add a little chute in the barrel, to avoid the balls from being pushed in the wrong direction (leading to multi-feeding...)

I didn't include it in the diagram but in practice a smaller diameter insert would be there to prevent backward feeding.
I would recommend furthermore, that you change the position of the fuel-line to the pump and add a check-valve , because otherwise you would have to seal the shaft of the smaller pump.
The problem with your solution is that the dual piston mixing relies on the fuel being at atmospheric pressure, but it's stored at higher pressure in the reservoir.
I'd like to describe your solution as simply elegant.
Not as simple as I'd like :roll: do we get to see your pump action in progress?
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:22 pm

I would recommend furthermore, that you change the position of the fuel-line to the pump and add a check-valve , because otherwise you would have to seal the shaft of the smaller pump
right, but there is nothing to block the flow of fuel to the chamber...

though if you think of it you might as well get rid of the fuel pump
Children are the future

unless we stop them now