projectile testing - any volunteers?

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
dewey-1
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:32 pm

Here is a 6 fin variation with thinner fins.
The CP shifts dramatically with extra fins.
The M829 has 6 fins so why not yours.
Attachments
JSR-ramset-3-6-fin.jpg
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:49 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:What I have are masonry nails, I'm not sure the Ramsets are especially harder...
Masonry nails are as hard as you're likely to need.

A misguided attempt to cut one with a hacksaw (which I've used on inch thick mild steel rod successfully) resulted in a very blunt hacksaw and a very shallow cut.

In future, a task reserved for the carbide cutting disks for my Dremel.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:27 pm

al-xg wrote:Who needs a social life when you've got a lathe, eh ?
I'm tempted to agree but grudgingly acknowledge the need for some human contact, as posted elsewhere:
jackssmirkingrevenge during his first machining project wrote:last night I had been planning on having a go at machining the pen gun body but my friends were having a drink nearby and I forced myself to join them, otherwise I am on the road to becoming the guy who sits on a bench shouting at passing busses before the age of 65 :roll:
*ahem*
Here is a 6 fin variation with thinner fins.
The CP shifts dramatically with extra fins.
The M829 has 6 fins so why not yours.
Certainly would be better supported in the barrel too, it's under a lot of stress with pressure behind it...
A misguided attempt to cut one with a hacksaw (which I've used on inch thick mild steel rod successfully) resulted in a very blunt hacksaw and a very shallow cut.

I learnt that was useless a long time ago :) what I'm doing now is cutting a groove with one of my less favourite carbide tools, then clamping it in the vice and knocking the head off with a hammer - they tend to be as brittle as they are hard.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
ramses
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2
United States of America

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:15 pm

JSR, you seem to have duplicated my results.

Attachments
resized_CIMG7747.jpg
resized_CIMG7746.jpg
That WAS hardened HSS.<br /><br />I suspect I annealed it inadvertently when grinding it down in the lathe.
That WAS hardened HSS.

I suspect I annealed it inadvertently when grinding it down in the lathe.
POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:43 pm

ramses wrote:JSR, you seem to have duplicated my results.
Thanks for that, I knew I had seen similar deformation on a nail but couldn't remember where :? Getting older...

Admittedly although this was from a 20x hybrid, it was also a short 12" barrel and just 19mL chamber volume. Going bigger would be more power than I can justify in urban surroundings.

Really want to try out the "ramset" layout though, perhaps this weekend.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life