Chamber Burst?

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
v3ngence
Private 2
Private 2

Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:43 am

OK well since I'm new to combustion bear with me because I have ?'s! For now though I only have 1. With air guns if you don't have enough pressure to launch the object nothing happens because you know that if the tank can hold the pressure your barrel can too. I was wondering if the projectile gets stuck or lodged in a combustion gun is it possible that it will explode? Kinda scared to try anything that stays too firmly because I fire mine from the hip and I don't want the end cap lodging in my leg.

-By the way this site has been a great help so far!
PCGUY
Owner
Owner
United States of America

Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:11 am

A combustion cannon only makes around 30-50psi max, so if your ammo was to get stuck and the chamber was totally sealed, it would max out below 50psi and you would be fine.

Although, if you were to jam with a hybrid and keep the pressure in the chamber, that would be bad since they create hundreds of PSI.
Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
CS

Donating Members

Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:57 pm

What happens on my gun when the ammo is wedged to hard is the cap on the back will fly off so i wouldnt worry about a combustion cannon turning into a ABS grenade.
boilingleadbath
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:07 am

Then you must be using the wrong type of cap, pimp. I'd call your cap flying off a safty hazard.
spudshot
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:34 am

thats a cleanout cap, they're very brittle, just get a PW plug from http://www.plumbingsupply.com some cleanouts have actually shattered. as far as the ammo getting stuck, the gas will probably leak around the projectile, if you have propane injection in your cannon just put the meter on a quick connect so you can use it for other launchers, and if the projectile is stuck just put an open ended quick connect into the one on your launcher
drac
Corporal 4
Corporal 4
United States of America

Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:33 am

If a projectile gets stuck in my barrel, the combustion just dies down. Once or twice I've had the endcap shoot off, and plenty of times the gasses just escape around the electrodes. Been meaning to fix that problem for a while, just never got around to it.
Aaron ?????
Private 4
Private 4

Wed May 25, 2005 1:47 am

with my old combustion cannon the caps do not blow off the whole reducer blew up the caps were fine i just unscrewed them and started to build a new one