HELP!

A place for general potato gun questions and discussions.
true2blue92
Private 2
Private 2

Mon May 30, 2005 1:59 am

Ok I have built a very very basic Spud gun a couple years ago and now I am interested again. When I first built mine their was no such thing as using a sprinkler valve (or at least that I heard of). Everyone who made newmatic guns used ball valves. So what I understand about sprinkler valves ar that they are a ball valve just automatic right? Ok going off of what I think I have a design and just wanted to see if I am right and if it will work. I will be using a schrader/tire valve to put air in my chamber. Then this will be blocked with a sprinkler valve then into a barrel. I will not be using a blowgun (if it isn't needed) i will be constructing a box with some switches to fire it. So please let me know if this will work? Here is a little design i made quickly.
Attachments
Gun.JPG
Aaron ?????
Private 4
Private 4

Mon May 30, 2005 3:52 am

no sprinkler valves are diaphram valves
the diaphram is a peice of rubber that rests on a seat with air all around it exept under the seat and to set it off you let a small amount of air away from above the diaphram which sucks it away from the seat letting air in the barrell

once again i say that i am no good at explaining how things work

if u dont under stand that just take the valve apart

also make either the barrell smaller or the chamber bigger for a stronger gun
iamthewalrus
Corporal
Corporal

Mon May 30, 2005 7:25 am

yeah, a good barrel size for a 2" chamber i think is about 3/4" to 1/2". tray thoughs they work great. everything else seems fine though
i got connections with the modfia, watch who ur talkin to noob.

talk to me on AIM at iamthwalrus3
spudshot
Sergeant
Sergeant

Mon May 30, 2005 8:52 am

i've used 1.5" barrels with 2" chambers well, as long as you have a good ratio there shouldnt be a problem. as for the sprinkler, if you want to, you can mod the valve, that way you dont need to keep replacing batteries, and it will also make it faster, and give you more power. there is a how-to on modding a sprinkler valve in the how-to section of this site.
also you should tap your hole for your schrader vavle where there is 2 layers of plastic, where a fitting is glued over the pipe.

make sure you only use fittings with the marking NSF-PW DO NOT use NSF-DWV marked fittings, they're not made for pressure and are unsafe. also make sure you only use pipe with a pressure rating such as XXX-psi DO NOT use cellular core pipe.
true2blue92
Private 2
Private 2

Mon May 30, 2005 11:40 am

i am sorry i still didnt get it. will the spinkler work as a ball valve yes or no? if no why not?
iamthewalrus
Corporal
Corporal

Mon May 30, 2005 11:44 am

a sprinkler valve isnt the same as a ball valve but it can take the place of a ball-valve on a gun

true2blue92
Private 2
Private 2

Mon May 30, 2005 11:59 am

iamthewalrus wrote:a sprinkler valve isnt the same as a ball valve but it can take the place of a ball-valve on a gun
So from what I get out of this I can use the sprinkler instead of a ball valve?

P.S. Thanks for all the replies you have have been helpful
iamthewalrus
Corporal
Corporal

Mon May 30, 2005 12:39 pm

yes u can put a sprinkler valve where u would put a ball valve

true2blue92
Private 2
Private 2

Mon May 30, 2005 12:58 pm

Thanks for all the help that it what I figured but before I bought it I wanted to make sure. Ok one more question. I don't really care for combustion guns. So mainly a newmatic gun.

1. I have about $30-40 to spend. What would be th best gun to make?

2. I also wanted to build a small gun maybe could fit in my pocket.
Is this possible?
How far would it shoot a little piece of paper?
true2blue92
Private 2
Private 2

Mon May 30, 2005 1:35 pm

ok here is a pic of my gun i am building. Everything is there except the electronics for the solenoid. It will be an interchangeble barrel. ok so see if it will work like this. one thing i still need to do is put the schrader valve on sumwhere. sorry for the bad quality and small photos. It wouldn't let me upload the original because they were to big.
Attachments
IMAG02361.JPG
IMAG02351.JPG
iamthewalrus
Corporal
Corporal

Mon May 30, 2005 1:39 pm

ok... well u can make a pill box cannon that would fit in ur pocket and shoot q-tips about 20-30ft, they can cost nothing or next to it and my sprinkler pnumatic cost my about $70-$80, a simple combustion would only cost about $10-15 one with just a chamber barrel and igniter, but u can make a ball valve pnumatic for about $20-25, price really depends on what u put on the gun and where u buy the parts from

spudshot
Sergeant
Sergeant

Mon May 30, 2005 2:44 pm

waht the hell kind of fittings are they? they look yellow, they cant be pressure rated, and i can tell it looks like the coupling and reducers are DWV by the socket depth, what is the black fitting beween the elbow and the valve?

also you should try modding the solenoid valve so you dont need batteries, and it'll give better performance
iamthewalrus
Corporal
Corporal

Mon May 30, 2005 2:50 pm

i think the black thing is jsut pvc wrpaed in black grip tape cuz i think thats his handle

true2blue92
Private 2
Private 2

Mon May 30, 2005 4:01 pm

ok those yellow pipes were just really old pipes my dad had in a box. I went to my grandpa's and he had brand new pipes. Everything is much better now i cant take a pic currently but I will soon. Ok "you should try modding the solenoid valve so you dont need batteries, and it'll give better performance" i dont understand how modding it will make it possibly to use no batteries. I think I get it would you always have your compressor hooked up to the blow gun? I dont realy get it. If what I said is true the reason I dont want to mod it because i dont want it always hooked up to the compressor. Please Explain.
iamthewalrus
Corporal
Corporal

Mon May 30, 2005 4:06 pm

ok, u dont need to always have a compressur hooked up for one. second all a electrical part does is open a hole to open the phram(im not goign to explain a phram jsut believe me) and all a blowgun does is open a different hole and blowguns dont need batteries and they open the phram faster then a solinoid