Summer 2009 Contest Discussion

Voice your input! Discuss anything to do with SpudFiles.com or community it's self. Constructive discussions only. This is a place to express thoughts about making the community better.
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:36 pm

Please don't. I'm not sure the world could cope with that many people who have a high chance of following in your... particular and unique idiom.
Lol. +1.

Hopefully next year's does not restrict the "power" category to PVC cannons.. That minor flaw buggered up my plans big time.
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
Hotwired
First Sergeant 3
First Sergeant 3

Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:42 pm

I'd be interested in a week overtime but there's no lack of numbers in that category :)
MrCrowley

Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:05 pm

Thread cleaned, keep it on topic guys.
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:19 am

inonickname wrote: Hopefully next year's does not restrict the "power" category to PVC cannons.. That minor flaw buggered up my plans big time.
I'm fine with the restriction. The creative advanced builders can strut their stuff. I just have a time and budget constraint this year.

Pushing a 6 foot long iron rod 1.25 inches in diameter with 3 tons of force is possible. Once flying, it should do fine in the box o truth. :D
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:31 am

I believe that allowing use of metal would allow them to strut their abilities. I prefer to work in smaller calibres if possible, in metal at high pressures. A larger, low pressure PVC cannon can still have a similar amount of muzzle energy.

Any ideas on when we get to see the entries if it isn't being extended?
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
MrCrowley

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:33 am

It is a bit unfair for those in countries that can't get PVC as easily and cheaply as others, but hey that's life I guess. :P
psycix
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4

Donating Members

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:02 am

Extend, keep as planned, extend, keep as planned, extend?!
What is it guys? We can't pick both.

I vote for extending it. With a bit of luck we may get enough entries that time...
Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:21 am

I don't know... if metal guns are better they should win...

putting restrictions doesn't help in development
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:37 am

POLAND_SPUD wrote:I don't know... if metal guns are better they should win...

putting restrictions doesn't help in development
That's kinda like entering an F14 jet into a paper airplane distance contest. :D The contest is to do it with PVC. :shock:
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:43 am

Except you're not comparing paper planes to jets, you're comparing power.

Metal may level off the playing field a bit, but you can build a hell of a lot bigger in plastic for the same price, and therefore, more power.
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:35 am

yeah it's not a nerf forum...
by allowing only PVC cannons you make things stay as they were in 1995... I don't know if that was the idea really

no restrictions would result in better designs... those who want to use PVC would have to be more creative in order to build something that can compete with metal guns while those who use metal would have to find some way to deal with increased weight and price...

if you really need to balance things out (but IMO that makes more sense in an online game or something.. not in real life :wink: ) you can add weight restrictions - for example max weight of the gun has to be lower than 15 or 20 kg
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
Hubb
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:07 am

I still say stick with what we got. With as many members as there are here, everyone is going to have an opinion as to how they think the contest should be. And this means that we can debate extension or whatever for as long as we want - it just puts off the inevitable.

I, personally, do not believe that an extension of the deadline will convince any new entries. If one hasn't joined yet, they probably will not.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:44 am

Technician1002 wrote:That's kinda like entering an F14 jet into a paper airplane distance contest.
That wouldn't work - you'd never be able to throw an F14 very far at all. :D

@Poland_Spud: A weight limit instead of a materials limit might improve matters.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
WOW!!
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:36 pm

So then whats the final decision??
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:51 pm

Hubb wrote:I still say stick with what we got. With as many members as there are here, everyone is going to have an opinion as to how they think the contest should be. And this means that we can debate extension or whatever for as long as we want - it just puts off the inevitable.

I, personally, do not believe that an extension of the deadline will convince any new entries. If one hasn't joined yet, they probably will not.
I know of at least one failed cannon that is wishing and in the process of rebuilding. Who it is is classified to keep in the contest rules. I have had chats with several contestants. No it's not me.. :(