UAATT (Or: Using Acronyms As Topic Titles)

Voice your input! Discuss anything to do with SpudFiles.com or community it's self. Constructive discussions only. This is a place to express thoughts about making the community better.
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:08 pm

A little less laxity could probably do the site good. Not as far as the hard-line kind of thing that was seen on roguesci, but at least a little more policing.
Thing your forgetting here is every time the "policing" is done we mods get a 10 paragraph PM about how wrong we are/where for doing so, (sorry Pimpmann22, I know i've done that very thing to you a few times).

Also it tends to make the forums look unfriendly like.

Kinda like that ^, even though I intend to mean this as a reminder, it still looks to make me look like a prick, "unfriendly" and we don't want that.
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:45 pm

jrrdw wrote:Thing you're forgetting here is every time the "policing" is done we mods get a 10 paragraph PM about how wrong we are/were for doing so.
No, I'm really not. What you're forgetting is the very first line in the post you quoted... I myself am a moderator on more than one other site.
I know what it entails - I've had the grumpy PMs (Got to avoid messing up the capitalisation there!), annoyed members, etc, etc.

The problem usually arises from inconsistency and heavy handedness - if the line is drawn in the same place each time and there's no overkill in the response, then it's usually far less of a problem.

Some people will complain whatever, because they think the rules shouldn't apply to them. Curiously, some people are also jerks.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:49 pm

What forums do you moderate?
Clarke
Private 3
Private 3

Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:54 pm

Wow i cant believe how upset people get over something so small lol
jonnyboy
Corporal
Corporal

Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:58 pm

Perhaps we could make a list of FAQs, answer them all from topics already posted. Call it The FAQ sticky, and then we delete all the help me posts about these questions. Then no one will complain about not being capable to find the answer, its all in one place, and we have some space, sound good?
It's called the wiki. :roll: I think when you make an advanced search (the only one that actually turns up anything useful it should also be searching the wiki.

Another great idea in my mind is when you first join you get a pm from pcguy it says ;
Hello!

Welcome to SpudFiles.

We hope you enjoy your time at this site!

Feel free to join in and share with others or start your own discussion!

~Enjoy!
SpudFiles Staff
I think this really needs to include a link to the wiki because if you look at all of the help me posts about things that have been posted a billion times its usually member who have less than 20 posts and have just joined. I'm not sure if you guys think this as well but the button for the wiki isn't exactly in an ideal place perhaps over by the recent post list?
mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:25 pm

@jrrdw: If counting only moderator status, a gaming site, a general forum and a site for stage technicians. There is a site I help administrate, but that's another matter.
None are exactly big sites, and mostly they don't need much work, but I've seen enough stroppy people in my time.

You'll have to excuse me not linking to any of them though, as they have more information about my real identity than I'd care to have known - not that I'm exactly worried about you guys, but I'd rather not bring evidence of me doing things of dubious legality and my contact details together in case the police should choose to swing by here.

@Clarke: If you ran into as many stupidly titled topics as I do (only a few of them here), you wouldn't consider it "small".

"Straw that breaks the donkey's back" is probably the appropriate phrase.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?