Merits list...

Voice your input! Discuss anything to do with SpudFiles.com or community it's self. Constructive discussions only. This is a place to express thoughts about making the community better.
MrCrowley

Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:17 pm

I would like to see a forum dedicated to showcasing penetration/damage shots... And the HiSpeed video could be a a forum instead of just a thread as well...
Last I checked PCGUY thinks we have enough forum sections as it is, and how many people here have hi-speed anyway? A couple of members with their Casio's last I recall. :P

The penetration showcase isn't such a bad idea, but I don't think it will float. You can always add damage pictures and videos to your cannon topics in the showcase section and/or make a topic about it in the General section if you shoot something impressive/do something impressive/of interest etc.
deathbyDWV
Corporal
Corporal

Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:32 pm

Alright guys... the list so far... if this even goes through...

posted any cannon

working pneumatic

working combustion

working hybrid

piston pneumatic

advanced combustion

(more) advanced hybrid (fired while held/portable)

bbmg

vortex bbmg

bore size +3 inch

+4

+6

+8

+10

+12

Velocity +300

+400

+500

+600

+700

+800

+900

+1000

+mach one

+mach two

painted 2 or more colors(nicely)

asthetically pleasing

very complex(needs defined)

super ghetto

super clean

super small(has to be defined)

super large(also needs defined)

50% epoxy by weight(JSR could probably get 90%)

distance +200 yards

+300

+400

+500

+600

+700

(and so on...)

also penetration

sheets of plywood

sheet metal

coins

i got to go right now but tell me which are good, bad, and need added.
MrCrowley

Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:41 pm

(more) advanced hybrid (fired while held/portable)
Doesn't make it more advanced, I can just take the hose clamps of mine and remove it from the stand...

I'd say keep it to something like:

Advanced Combustion
Piston Valved Pneumatic
Hybrid
BBMG
Bore size 4" or over
Bore size 10" or over
Mach 1
Mach 2
Mach 3+
Semi-Auto
Full-Auto (doesn't include BBMG's)
1/4 mile distance
1/2 mile distance
3/4 mile distance
1 mile+ distance

Penetration is a bit tricky, maybe it's better to do muzzle energy.
Maybe chamber volume as well could be one, for people with ridiculously sized chambers.

N.B - Remember, if you've built it and posted it in the showcase, it should work! You don't get an extra badge if it works as well, that's compulsory.

That's just an example to show you that we don't need 50 badges or a badge for something pretty easily achievable like any velocity below 900fps. You should have to work for your badges...
jrrdw
United States of America

Donating Members

Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:53 pm

As far as being in the club you want, just put it in your signature, discussion can take place in your showcase thread/s. This way members can do it and Spudfile forums don't have to be rearranged.

That translates to no extra work for PCGUY and members still get what they want. Could even sticky a club stats thread as long as someone agrees to keep it up to date.
deathbyDWV
Corporal
Corporal

Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:55 pm

Yeah your list sounds better but keep ingenuity and asthetics.
Also the bbmg can't be a cloud.(in my opinion)
rcman50166
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:28 pm

If you don't mind I think we should make clever names for each merit.

Spudhead: Built and fired a spudgun
Hairspray Queen: Built and fired a combustion spudgun
Air Head: Built and fired a pneumatic spudgun
The Good: Built and fired a 2x+ mix hybrid
The Bad: Built and fired a 10x+ mix hybrid
The Ugly Built and fired a 50x+ mix hybrid
Ironman: Built and fired a metal spudgun
6061: Built and fired an aluminum spudgun

The list would go on like that. We would make an entry in the spudwiki for the description of each with its appropriate badge of course
velocity3x
Corporal 4
Corporal 4

Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:58 pm

deathbyDWV wrote:tell me which are good, bad, and need added.
You should add a badge for:
Number of ROLAIDS consumed during the course of a build
deathbyDWV
Corporal
Corporal

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:26 pm

I think that the best thing would be either a sticky or a wiki (or a stickywiki jk...)

what do you think? Which one? I'll be willing to keep it up to date. I'm practically always on spudfiles... Lurking... Like a sniper...
inonickname
First Sergeant 4
First Sergeant 4

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:45 pm

How about a stickied thread with display pictures of each badge/merit (and their urls). To use them you simply post the cannon(s) and proof in the thread, then use the badges however you want. They should be made small enough so multiples (and other stuff) can fit in a signature.
PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
deathbyDWV
Corporal
Corporal

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:53 pm

Exactly. So you think a sticky would be best? I will make it soon. I cant make the pics for the badges.(I could try but they'd be bad...)
Ragnarok
Captain
Captain

Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:11 pm

MrCrowley wrote:1/4 mile distance
1/2 mile distance
3/4 mile distance
1 mile+ distance
I wouldn't advocate distance as a category. This might seem counter intuitive to some, but it'll be nearly impossible to verify a claim of even 1/2 mile, and let's be entirely honest, pretty hard to do safely.

If your projectile is coming down a mile away, how can you possibly be sure your target area is clear? Sure, it may be one in a thousand that there's anyone near where you're shooting, but if a projectile is going a mile, then it'll still have a LOT of energy left over at the end. It's a basic fact of firing that far.

If you can fire that far safely, good for you, but I don't think we should actively be providing incentive to people to fire out into oblivion.
Penetration is a bit tricky, maybe it's better to do muzzle energy.
Muzzle energy is just a factor of cannon pressure and cannon size.

Penetration has other factors added in that make it more interesting.
Maybe chamber volume as well could be one, for people with ridiculously sized chambers.
I'm not really seeing the merit in "large" cannons. They may be neat, but it just shows a large budget and a large place to store it.

They aren't necessarily any more technically proficient than a cannon of any other size.

~~~~~

Materials - in a similar vein to the above, why should it matter? If they're up to the job, should it matter whether it's aluminium, copper, steel, PVC or blue cheese? Perhaps separate metal into another category, but I see no reason to split types of metal.

I get the idea that some of the things people are suggesting are things they've done, rather than suitably generic goals.
If you're doing this, you should be able to justify the merit's existence. Why are the particular criteria of any real importance?

~~~~~

I personally think the goals need to be a mark of proficiency, rather than budget or available resources. Personally, I'm more interested in someone doing a good job with limited supplies than someone being able to build the Blingcannon 5001 V3.1.8 from Grade Q Superalloy<sup>TM</sup>.

So, I'd put merits on the list for acts of innovation. Introducing a new idea, using something in a new way, that kind of thing.

Semi and Full-auto are fair enough categories to have, but I'd add a category for manually cycled repeaters. Pump, Lever and Bolt actions - even a revolver action - all of these are perfectly valid.
Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
starman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
United States of America

Donating Members

Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:48 pm

jrrdw wrote:As far as being in the club you want, just put it in your signature
The signature space is pretty darned limited as it is. Members can already link to their cannons, etc there.

A real merit system should ideally be moderated...given the award officially. How about a space in the avatar and total posts section where moderators/administrators can place little icons representing the merit badge the member has attained. The icons would need to be fairly small and meaningful little graphics that could be lined up next to each other.

This would require some coding on PCGUY's part but it might even be a good opportunity to bury the useless spudbux for everyone once and for all...as well as the private/sergeant/lieutenant stuff and star rankings.
deathbyDWV
Corporal
Corporal

Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:16 pm

That is what i was thinking at first but it would translate to more work for PCGUY and more complicated... i think it will be better for people to do it themselves.
psycix
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4

Donating Members

Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:15 pm

video games
The word "achievements" or "challenges" comes to mind here.

It will be too much work moderating all this. Build a cannon for yourself, not to get rewarded in the shape of a merit.
Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!