2 Liter bottle burst pressure

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
Biopyro
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:58 am

Wrapping in duct tape just makes it go at a higher pressure. It stops it stretching for a bit, then it's helpless.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -Benjamin Franklin
Fnord
First Sergeant 2
First Sergeant 2

Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:16 pm

First I'd like to agree with D hall and point out that trace amounts of whatever they cleaned the cylinder out with may end up in your drink. While it probably won't shorten your lifespan noticeably I doubt it will improve it either.

Second, if you fill up a bottle most of the way with water, there isn't going to be much stored energy available to damage your hands in the event of a failure. Figure 1 joule for every CC dead volume at 10 bar. Gloves and goggles are fine but at 75 psi the most chance you'll have of a bottle exploding is if your regulator fails.

Third, you can dissolve a lot of CO<sub>2</sub> in water. I think most soft drinks have perhaps 4.5 grams per liter(?) Obviously you'll want to experiment till it tastes right, but about 2 liters of gas to 1 liter of water would be a good starting point.

You may be better off just dropping some of those dry-ice turds in an open bottle of cold water. I've tried it and it works, but I don't know how strong you can get the carbonation this way.
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Fnord wrote:You may be better off just dropping some of those dry-ice turds in an open bottle of cold water. I've tried it and it works, but I don't know how strong you can get the carbonation this way.
At a guess, very high. It's a pressure-dependent reaction, and I don't need to look at a phase diagram to know that solid CO2 begins to appreciably form at room temperature way beyond 75psig.