long range ammo MiniBoy Mark I

Potatoes last one shot, so build reusable! Discuss ammo designs and ideas. Tough to find cannon part or questions? Ask here!
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:19 pm

omg get a freakin buzzer + 9v battery (don't remember the exact code for it - it's more less as large as AAA bat. but it's 9V)

I can hear my buzzer even if it is under a large pillow so it should work for sand

I think I've seen one on some sort of electronic mole repelant (I hope it's the right term) and I could hear it from at least 4-5 meters when it was burried underground

EDIT
I just realized it's a beach.... is it noisy there ? if it is in a remote location it could be located but I am not sure about the waves

ohh found the article on this battery (it's 12V not 9V sorry)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A23_battery

I think that you can epoxy one lead of the buzzer to the battery and use the miniboy to connect the positive lead of the battery and the other lead of the buzzer

EDIT #2
I've just measure the OD of a buzzer - it's exactly 12mm... I think you said the ID of the projectile is a little bit over 12mm

dimensions of A23 battery - 10.3 x 28.5mm
Last edited by POLAND_SPUD on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
Lockednloaded
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
United States of America

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:28 pm

MrC wrote: Is there anyway of roughly calculating how far the MiniBoy would penetrate in to the sand? Velocity could be about 150m/s or so (just a guess), angle would be quite acute (maybe around 30 degrees?) and the sand quite soft.
Try shooting your mock-miniboy a low speeds from a similar angle from a pneumatic?
I love lamp
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:34 pm

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot7.htm

hard to tell without knowing exactly what the sand is like.

here's a thought that will involve some miniboy abuse (sacrilegio!)

just the thought - block off the rear nozzles and drill a hole though the nose.

this would provide an arresting "retrorocket" effect and with luck might even boost the miniboy out ;) this of course assumes impact ignition.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
MrCrowley

Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:26 pm

POLAND_SPUD wrote:omg get a freakin buzzer + 9v battery (don't remember the exact code for it - it's more less as large as AAA bat. but it's 9V)

I can hear my buzzer even if it is under a large pillow so it should work for sand

I think I've seen one on some sort of electronic mole repelant (I hope it's the right term) and I could hear it from at least 4-5 meters when it was burried underground

EDIT
I just realized it's a beach.... is it noisy there ? if it is in a remote location it could be located but I am not sure about the waves

ohh found the article on this battery (it's 12V not 9V sorry)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A23_battery

I think that you can epoxy one lead of the buzzer to the battery and use the miniboy to connect the positive lead of the battery and the other lead of the buzzer

EDIT #2
I've just measure the OD of a buzzer - it's exactly 12mm... I think you said the ID of the projectile is a little bit over 12mm

dimensions of A23 battery - 10.3 x 28.5mm
We did discuss this topic quite in depth in the other thread, we dismissed the idea because we couldn't find one small enough I think (the smaller they get, the less dB they emit) but if you've got one that could work I might do a few tests with one. Do you have any information about the buzzer you have?
Lockednloaded wrote:Try shooting your mock-miniboy a low speeds from a similar angle from a pneumatic?
Had that idea floating in the back of my mind, it's a bit difficult around here as the beaches are flat (don't want to shoot the sabot + projectile almost straight in to the ground). Perhaps...

:idea: ...wait a tick, I could just shoot the dummy projectile by itself from a smaller bore pneumatic :roll:

Maybe I'll try that sometime.

Made a slightly larger batch of cake with some baking soda, I'll take it down to the beach tonight for some fun :)
jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot7.htm

hard to tell without knowing exactly what the sand is like.

here's a thought that will involve some miniboy abuse (sacrilegio!)

just the thought - block off the rear nozzles and drill a hole though the nose.

this would provide an arresting "retrorocket" effect and with luck might even boost the miniboy out ;) this of course assumes impact ignition.
Went over our internet limit, can't load pictures on webpages let alone watch a YouTube video :D
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:47 pm

Unless you're into Italian comedy don't bother ;)
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:12 am

http://www.piezo-buzzers.com/buzzerspec ... P1360A.pdf

http://www.futurlec.com/Buzzers_PCB_Mount.shtml

Sure, one that is as loud as a siren would be best but as you said they are rather large...

If you have one (or can get one) just hook it up to a battery and burry it - you'll see if it is loud enough for you

We can assume that the projectile will be travelling relatively slow when it hits the ground... now sand is known to be rather effective at stopping stuff so I guess it doesn't have to get deep

Plus, if you choose lower angle the miniboy would not burry itself in the sand but rather bounce off - I guess this is something worth considering

A video
note - it is a lot moar annoying in real life than it seems
[youtube][/youtube]

BTW did you know you can 'stabilize' your vids when you upload them?
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jamie e
Private 2
Private 2

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:17 am

Yo Mr.C any chance i would be allowed to come and watch or help out with the launch? :)
i only just realized how soon you planed for it to happen and its a once in a lifetime thing to see.
I live in Auckland, i have a car and licence and i have about 4.5kg of KNO3 witch i believe to be one of the parts to this 'Cake' you speak of, and very willing to donate for this.

edit: spelling
Last edited by jamie e on Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Insomniac
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:25 am

Somehow I don't know if 4.5 kilos would be necessary, haha. This is more of a mini cupcake than a birthday cake. :D

Also, just a thought... If one was pulled over when driving around with 4.5kg of KNO3, and the boys in blue decided to take a look through the car... What would happen? A bag of white powder looks suspicious, and telling them what it is might be no less suspicious... I can't imagine there being any law against it, as it's hardly a harmful chemical on its own... But it can obviously be used to create fairly harmless cakes, as well as rather more dangerous mixtures... Hmm.

Ps: The word you're looking for is 'allowed'. :wink:
I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:33 am

Insomniac wrote:The word you're looking for is 'allowed'. :wink:
... unless the thing detonates in the barrel ;)
jamie e
Private 2
Private 2

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:35 am

Not so good with the spelling sorry.
the 4.5kg could be good for testing different mixes to make sure hes got the right burn time or could be used to test making fuses?
Insomniac
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:59 am

That's true. And not trying to criticise, just found the mistake amusing haha.
I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:28 am

You could just put it in a sugar or salt container for transport.... to the untrained viewer they are much the same.

I'm not suggesting that you try to illegally transport any sort of controlled or regulated substance.
jamie e
Private 2
Private 2

Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:29 pm

Transport shouldn't be a problem as the only reason i would get pulled over and have my car searched would be if i looked drunk, drugged, etc. You don't usually get searched for just speeding.
Anyway i don't think its illegal here because i bought it off trademe.co.nz (like eBay) and they shipped it to me with no hassle.
MrCrowley

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks for the links POLAND, I'll check them out on Monday when my internet is restored to full speed.

I took down a 70g batch to the beach last night, the amount of fire produced is a concern for mid-flight eating. It also burned freakin' quick (baking soda was used) and I doubt enough smoke was released through the sand to be spotted from ~1000m away (assuming I used a spotter). I'll get my hands on a piezo buzzer or such and do some testing with that before I decide what method to use for the launch.
jamie e wrote:Yo Mr.C any chance i would be allowed to come and watch or help out with the launch? :)
i only just realized how soon you planed for it to happen and its a once in a lifetime thing to see.
I live in Auckland, i have a car and licence and i have about 4.5kg of KNO3 witch i believe to be one of the parts to this 'Cake' you speak of, and very willing to donate for this.
Yeah you could probably come, don't think my friends would mind. The launch date will be somewhere around the 20-25th of November up at Mangawhai. I'll probably be able to tell you exactly what day I'm planning to do it a few days before then and hopefully nothing goes wrong with the cannon while I'm up at Mangawhai as there's not much I can fix while I'm up there.

If you're able to drive to Mangawhai on a week day with about a day's notice of when exactly I'll fire it, there's no reason why you can't come. I wont be needing any more KNO3, thanks for the offer though. If you have an HD camera, bring that :wink:
Zeus
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:20 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote: ... unless the thing detonates in the barrel ;)
Implying R Candy experiences a shock wave. Tut tut JSR, I thought you were a man of Science.

Even if it ignites in the barrel the only side effect would be some residue in the barrel.

MrC, how much experience do you have in chemistry? I'll give you a synth that'll increase the flour output by a metric s***ton.
/sarcasm, /hyperbole