machined APFSDS projectiles

Potatoes last one shot, so build reusable! Discuss ammo designs and ideas. Tough to find cannon part or questions? Ask here!
Alanstone
Private 4
Private 4

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Hey JSR that's really neat! I take it that the fins and CG are worked out so that it doesn't tumble in flight? I see huge potential for saboting bullets this way. A copper jacket 9 mm bullet in a 15 mm barrel would be sweet! Here only primers, gunpowder and ammunition are regulated. Bullets and casings are not. I would love a mold of sorts with which to make sabots like that. Perhaps the sabot can be made out of plastic resin. Pour it into the mold and let it set around a pin. Then remove the pin and seat the bullet once its set. Do you think that can work?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:05 pm

Molding is definitely something I want to get into. While in Canada I visited a place selling these products: http://www.smooth-on.com/

Amazing what the possibilities are.

Machining individual parts in this case is clearly not feasible for mass production.
I take it that the fins and CG are worked out so that it doesn't tumble in flight?
Of course :) in the case of the last two, the tungsten is so dense that the CG is well forward, about 25% of the total length from the nose.
I see huge potential for saboting bullets this way. A copper jacket 9 mm bullet in a 15 mm barrel would be sweet!
If you could get your hands on a rifled barrel, sure. Failing that, standard bullets are useless.

I'm a big fan of the 6.5 x 25 CBJ

hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:24 pm

Wow did I say Mini boy a while ago? I totally meant Dimply... Yeah you should make a super tiny version of these and see what Dimply can do with it :P
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:05 am

Gun Freak wrote:Wow did I say Mini boy a while ago? I totally meant Dimply... Yeah you should make a super tiny version of these and see what Dimply can do with it :P
Why stop there, why not make one for this ;)

Not really worth the effort, I'm looking to make things bigger these days... now that I will have space!

hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Alanstone
Private 4
Private 4

Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:40 am

Quote JSR "If you could get your hands on a rifled barrel, sure. Failing that, standard bullets are useless."

Are you firing those sabots through a rifled barrel? (The ones with the fins?)
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:05 am

Alanstone wrote:Are you firing those sabots through a rifled barrel? (The ones with the fins?)
No, all of these are for smoothbores. What I meant was that using standard firearm bullets in sabots is useless from a smoothbore barrel.
Alanstone
Private 4
Private 4

Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:37 am

Quote JSR: "No, all of these are for smoothbores."

That's what I thought. I was thinking in the lines of using sharp point bullets and saboting (nato 7.62) for instance like you have done there with the finned sabot. Or with any bullet for that matter. Won't that work?
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:41 am

You mean use the bullet as a core for a finned projectile? That would work.
Alanstone
Private 4
Private 4

Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:58 am

Yes that's exactly what I meant. Are bullets regulated where you are now?
Blitz
Corporal 2
Corporal 2
United States of America

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Just curious, and forgive me for not scrolling up as I'm on my phone at the moment - are you imparting a slight spin on these rounds by canting the fins slightly? Just a random thought.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:11 am

Alanstone wrote:Yes that's exactly what I meant. Are bullets regulated where you are now?
Yep, cartridges, primers, powder and bullets are all regulated, you need a firearm license which I never bothered getting.

Still, I don't see the point of using bullets when you can use bolts :)
are you imparting a slight spin on these rounds by canting the fins slightly?

I could technically do this by mounting the rotary table at an angle when milling the fins, but since the CG is ahead of the CP it's not necessary, and drag induced spin costs velocity.
Blitz
Corporal 2
Corporal 2
United States of America

Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:21 am

That is true, forgot about CG/CP from the days of designing model rockets. :)
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:00 pm

Here's another batch of custom slugs, this time for another youtuber, taofledermaus, who does some pretty nice slow motion shots so this should be interesting.

OMG, post N<sup>o.</sup> 22222!
Attachments
slugselection.jpg
Labtecpower
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3
Eritrea

Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:44 pm

Damn, awesome :D

I have some sharpened HSS taps you might be interested in, this is the projectile after being shoot into a 8 mm. steel plate.

The point was completely intact, it is blunted because I gave it a few blows with a big hammer when I tried to get it out, with no success :roll:

I can send them to you if you want, shouldn't be more than two Euros to get them to you.

Oh, and this one;

jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Nice! if you want to see them on a popular youtube channel, send away! Quickly though, I have to start thinking about packing up the lathe soon ;)