"Offtopic-posts-topic" NSFW

Meaningful discussion outside of the potato gun realm. Projects, theories, current events. Non-productive discussion will be locked.
ToasT
Private 4
Private 4

Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:44 pm

Anyone care about what the US and UK seem to be planning on doing?
Trying to keep an unbiased viewpoint is pretty difficult, somewhere between the extremes of western and eastern media.

My question is how some nations are prepared to mobilse forces on allegations with no proof yet, without having some other agenda.

A wild, and biased hypothesis is this is the reason for the involvement http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_oil_bourse

If all oil is sold in USD, it creates demand for the currency, basically meaning the value of oil is the value of the dollar. This means printing money doesn't devalue the currency as much as it otherwise would.

A strike could be bait to draw Iran into this mess. Then who knows what will happen
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:42 am

I wonder if the Syrian government has these already: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 34578.html

Normally I'd be all for bombing Arabs, but in this case it would seem we're going after the "good" guys. Not a lot of sympathy for the rebels. I'm not usually one to give into conspiracy theories, but this alleged gas attack makes absolutely no sense from the part of Assad's forces and smacks terribly of a false flag operation. I'm sure that given the attrocities they've carried out already, the rebels would have no qualms killing a couple of hundred of their own civillians if it meant bringing in Western airpower on their side.

Meh, I'm just glad I'm moving further away from this mess.

edit: real men wear beards, and have no time of this effeminate "left hand conversion" you speak of, for they eat hot brass for breakfast!
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:05 am

I relied on reports from globalsecurity.org in the past and they are usually well informed - I don't see as much on Syria there as I could see in case of Irak or Libya so it supports my theory

I wonder if the Syrian government has these already
Some sources claim they do have them. That's a relatively modern and capable system - so that changes a lot.

They definitely have Pantsir-s1 system- which has the advantage of being in greater numbers, mobile and fully self contained.

Anyway... If Syrian government really had chemical weapons then they could retaliate against Turkey and Israel easily. They don't even need SCUD missiles to do it - they've got plenty of MLRS launchers and potential targets are just across the border
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:40 am

Fair assessment... there's something we're not being told though, as usual...
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:02 am

I don;t like to get political but...

I remember the US bombing Khadaffi's palace after he made some threats in the 80's.

Saddam did the same and was eventually hunted down and tried..

Now North K. openly threats the U.S. with nukes...Syria uses nerve-gas on it's own people, Iran is provocing the world by enriching uranium up to weapon grade...

and nothing happens....

Maybe the fact that China and that other "democratic" country ,lead by that former KGB staff-member, openly support those regimes has something to do with the careful attitude of western countries?

Do we really want a conflict putting Western allied forces on the ground fighting Russian-Chinese-North Korean-Syrian-Iranian forces...

I don't think so.

That's why the only viable option is to destroy nerve-gas stockpiles whilke leaving the regime intact...unfortunately.
Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
qwerty
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:26 am

So I've been a way for a good while and one of my other hobbies are bikes, bicycles that is. Does anyone else ride? I have an Iron Horse Yakuza Ojiki which I mostly use for DH and and free ride and a Giant STP 1 for trail riding and the occasional dirt jump.

Speaking of bikes, Jack, you're moving to the home of mountain biking, why not invest in one and get off your lazy ass, it's trail heaven there! :D
I visit occasionally to make unrelated posts.
Labtecpower
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3
Eritrea

Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:40 am

As a true dutchman I own 5 bicycles :D

Two for everyday use to the bus stop and driving through town, one for making longer trips while carrying luggage (batavus tricolore), one offroad bike used for cross country (cube ltd1), and a racing cycle (Jan Janssen Tour de France)

The distance I travel by bicycle is about 10.000 km/year :roll:
qwerty
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:46 am

Awesome, cube make nice hardtails. Can't say I know much about road bikes though, far too boring for me and my teenage mind.
POLAND_SPUD
Captain
Captain

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:26 am

Syria uses nerve-gas on it's own people
You have to be very naive if you think they did it. It's obviously a false flag operation. They would have used it when they were losing not now when they are winning :D
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
mobile chernobyl
Corporal 3
Corporal 3
United States of America

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:41 am

I own about 6 bikes +/- 1 on any given month. I've raced DH since 2003 - love it. I ride the whole gamut of biking: road, street, trials, XC, AM, FR, DH, park, etc. etc. can't get enough of it. There truely is a need to own a lot of bikes when you really get into it - there is no such thing as a do-it-all bike and even blending the lines of somthing like XC/FR you will be making sacrifices on both ends that can limit the fun/speed/thrill you'll get by owning the right bike for the job.

On another note. A dream opportunity just landed in my lap. About a week ago I got an email from an engineer working for a defense contractor... on the NAVY RAILGUN! went through the emails and calls and now I have a preliminary interview setup tomorrow. Anyone that knows me - or knows how much we veterans of spudfiles love accelerating stuff should know this is probably the best job I could ever dream of. Wish me luck guys - however you choose to channel the vibes!
qwerty
Corporal 2
Corporal 2

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:44 am

I would Iove a trials bike but I spent all my money on my last bike :shock:
I assume you live in Canada?
mobile chernobyl
Corporal 3
Corporal 3
United States of America

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:52 am

qwerty wrote:I would Iove a trials bike but I spent all my money on my last bike :shock:
I assume you live in Canada?
Had a trials bike, but sold it and fixed up my street/DJ bike. Trials bikes are fun, but I had a pure Stock trials bike. The new inspired style frame geometry is the shit if you're looking to do the flowyer street trials style like BMX evolved.

I live in the "Big City" so it's quite hard to store so many bikes lol
Brian the brain
Netherlands

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:53 am

About a week ago I got an email from an engineer working for a defense contractor... on the NAVY RAILGUN! went through the emails and calls and now I have a preliminary interview setup tomorrow
:shock:

GOOD LUCK!!
Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:10 pm

qwerty wrote:Speaking of bikes, Jack, you're moving to the home of mountain biking, why not invest in one and get off your lazy ass, it's trail heaven there! :D
Hehe... I'm going to get my Dodge Ram for now, we'll see about human powered devices later.
You have to be very naive if you think they did it. It's obviously a false flag operation. They would have used it when they were losing not now when they are winning
Agreed. The timing is unbelievably fishy.
Anyone that knows me - or knows how much we veterans of spudfiles love accelerating stuff should know this is probably the best job I could ever dream of. Wish me luck guys - however you choose to channel the vibes!
Sounds like a dream come true, best of luck!
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:47 am