The CAKE III, she is born!

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
mlz3000
Private 4
Private 4

Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:19 pm

The Compressed Air Kinetic Emancipator III

As discussed here, I have constructed my first piston valved gun. You can look there for pics of the inner workings of the gun.

Specs:
-interchangeable barrels, interchangeable chambers if I ever want to
-1.5" porting piston housed in a 2" tee
-no audible leaks past 20PSI
-1" sprinkler valve pilot valve
-stress ball bumper
-125PSI popoff and pressure gauge

I'm going to paint it soon, possibly over the weekend.

I love that I can pump the gun with just a bike pump.

I dry fired it twice (40PSI and 50PSI), and it was LOUD. I am quite looking forward to testing it out tomorrow. :D
Attachments
The gun with the tennis ball barrel.
The gun with the tennis ball barrel.
The GGDT for the gun with the tennis ball barrel. Do all of my values look right?
The GGDT for the gun with the tennis ball barrel. Do all of my values look right?
Technician1002
Captain
Captain

Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:56 pm

Nice popgun.. Avoid heavy projectiles with that stock configuration so torque on the frame does not cause it to break.
mlz3000
Private 4
Private 4

Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:00 am

I use the sprinkler valve as the stock(that's what the elbow joint on the back of it is for), and the chamber rests on my shoulder.

I might add a better stock to the list of to-do's for the gun, but do you think that kick might break it if I hold it as I have described?
Gaderelguitarist
Corporal
Corporal

Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:47 am

That's an interesting configuration you have there. to reduce the chance of a recoil related catastrophic failure, you might look into a.....chamber support? :lol:

Maybe switch the elbow out for a tee and work a pipe up to help brace the chamber to the valve portion.
The Compressed Air Kinetic Emancipator III
Who is being emancipated by your launcher?
so many muchness
saefroch
Staff Sergeant 2
Staff Sergeant 2

Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:01 am

Gaderelguitarist wrote:
mlz3000 wrote:The Compressed Air Kinetic Emancipator III
Who is being emancipated by your launcher?
Maybe Emaciator would be better?

I like the chamber design. It's... different. I wouldn't worry too much about the torque issue, unless you feel the chamber being pushed into your collarbone or shoulder, it's minimal and probably not enough to cause serious damage. what would be a problem is if you were using the back of your chamber that actually looks like a stock as a stock.
Gaderelguitarist
Corporal
Corporal

Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:50 am

Maybe Emaciator would be better?
As it launches away a civilization's diet of potatoes, causing them to lose several pounds?

I would think Eliminator would suffice.

MLZ3000, I just noticed that you said you have multiple chambers and barrels. Might we see them?
so many muchness
mlz3000
Private 4
Private 4

Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:54 am

My thinking was that it emancipated the projectile from the barrel...or...something...

Mostly I was looking for a cool noun that started with "E" because I'm a portal nut, and wanted the acronym for the gun to be CAKE. :lol: I think it sounds like a cool name for a gun.

Gaderelguitarist wrote:Maybe switch the elbow out for a tee and work a pipe up to help brace the chamber to the valve portion.
I might do that just to be safe, but continue to hold it with the chamber over my shoulder. It's just intuitively how I pick up the gun, seems easier to hold it like that.
Gaderelguitarist
Corporal
Corporal

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:02 am

My thinking was that it emancipated the projectile from the barrel...or...something...
I guess that makes....perfect...sense.
but continue to hold it with the chamber over my shoulder
My thoughts as well.
so many muchness
mlz3000
Private 4
Private 4

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:27 am

Another choice is to build a new chamber, as the connection between the valve housing and chamber is threaded.

I'm thinking maybe a design like this one, but with a longer chamber that would run under the barrel.
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:10 pm

Seeing as the connection to the piston valve is threaded, why not just... turn it around? Pictured below. This way you could add supports between the chamber and barrel.

Also, why not: Compressed Air Kinetic Expectorator? :D
Attachments
Sham photoshop job.
Sham photoshop job.
mlz3000
Private 4
Private 4

Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:36 pm

mark.f wrote:why not just... turn it around?

If it kicks enough for me to be worried about needing a support, I'll do that, because that would make building a support really easy. Thanks for the great idea.

If it doesn't kick very much, (and all I'm firing out of here will be tennis balls and golf balls, so I don't know that the kick will be too bad) I'll probably leave it as is. I like holding it with the chamber over my shoulder, because that feels quite comfortable to me, plus I think big guns look coolest shoulder mounted. :D

Compressed Air Kinetic Excalceation?
Kind of like knocking your socks off.
Gaderelguitarist
Corporal
Corporal

Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:51 pm

Compressed Air Kinetic Excalceation?
That sounds much cooler. Brings a certain mythical sword to mind, which is always a good thing.
so many muchness
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Referring to the chamber, Convoluted And Knee Emulating?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Gun Freak
Lieutenant 5
Lieutenant 5

Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:26 pm

@mlz, the kick won't be bad at all. I have a bigger valve on my golf ball cannon and the recoil is there but it is nothing to worry about. nobody bring up my awkward shoulder firings :roll: hehe
OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!